Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » small oil leak, rear of engine

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: small oil leak, rear of engine
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey everyone...

Just putting the pulleys and wires back into the stang after finally getting the motor in.

I seem to have a very small oil leek at the back of the motor, the oil is dripping off of the shield that sits between the tranny and the motor. Motor went in on sunday, i noticed a little oil under the point on monday so i wiped it up and made a mental note. did not mess with the car for a few days, and today i noticed that the puddle of oil was back. only covered about a 3x6 area on the floor, and the pan only has about 1 1/2 quarts in it. Lastly the car has not been cranked over or moved.

I know the obvious answer is rear main seal. but with so little oil in the pan that seems strange. Anyone ever had this problem? any suggestions?

Thanks!

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are all the valve covers tight? Did the dipstick neck/housing fit into the block securely?

[ February 25, 2005, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: 89saleen ]

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You said you just dropped the motor in. Did you run it at all? Or did you just bolt everything up and it sprung a leak?

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the motor hasnt been fired it shouldnt be leaking anywhere

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ummm rearmain seal?

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That is correct. I have not turned the motor over, it has no power to it yet. I have not spun the oil pump either.

I mean, even if somehow i fucked up the rear main seal while installing it, there is no way that 1 1/2 quarts fills the pan enough for the oil to reach the seal.

WTF! Any other ideas?

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get under there with a flashlight..?

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Anyone else got any ideas on this crap??

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it is not the rear main seal. Is the dip stick in it yet?(probably) It could be the pan gasket if you filled 5 qouarts of oil in it and haven't fired it yet then the oil leval in the pan is higher than it would normaly be. How about the leval sensor on the drivers side of pan that would do it.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Oil sensor is in and tight. Dip stick is in and tight. Pan gasket seems to be on good, but even if it is not... the oil level in this car has not gone past 2 quarts since i started working on it... maybe 2 1/2. definetley not 5.

All good questions but none of them give the right answer....

I know there arent many more options, but anyone else want to take a swing?

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ShiftyGT:

I seem to have a very small oil leek at the back of the motor, the oil is dripping off of the shield that sits between the tranny and the motor.

You sure its not coming from the fronnt of the tranny?
I'm assuming the tranny is alreaady in.

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well rear main seals don't usualy leak unless the motor is running. Did you prime the motor? could be a galley plug

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

No, i have not primed the motor, so i doubt its the galley plugs. Those would not leak just by oil draining down would they??

I am pretty damn sure that the oil is leaking from the front side, or engine side of the shield. for shits and giggles though, what would it mean if it was leaking from the tranny side?

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

and yes, the tranny is in

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89saleen:

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JoeT:
quote:
Originally posted by 89saleen:

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

I appreciate the sound advice. I have had the car up off all fours, with a flashlight, and i was under it. The first place i can see the oil is at the bottom lip of the oil pan where it rounds down for the crank. I cant see where it goes before that... it looks like it starts right there.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com