Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 91 5.0L - pete jackson gear drive

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 91 5.0L - pete jackson gear drive
grupe56
¯
Member # 5329

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for grupe56  Ford pictures for grupe56  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anybody out there installed a gear drive in their 5.0L ? If you have give me a buzz and let me know how it worked out and any little things you might have come across during the installs. Thanks.

G-56

Posts: 42 | From: Red Bluff, Cal | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why in the world would anyone ever use a pete jackson or any 4-gear type gear drive is beyond me. They suck for accurate cam timing. But I guess if you just want the noise then its all good.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

grupe56
¯
Member # 5329

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for grupe56  Ford pictures for grupe56  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A competent engine builder will use as solid a foundation for building an engine with as stable an internal assy as possible. Why in the world would any one want to use a chain and sprocket set up that's susceptible to stretching and possible timing variance problems is a question that could be asked to those that insist chains are a much better solution ? I've built engines from turbo charged 4 bangers to 500 cui + drag engines, simple rule to follow - stronger is better. This philosophy has led me to the strict use of nitride treating the internal reciprocating internals of any engine I've built to the strict practice of studding a block wherever possible (heads, mains, etc.). As to wanting to adjust the cam - that's why you degree your cam in the first place, there is a difference in quality & attention.
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why is a belt drive better than both a timing chain and a gear drive if its made out of rubber then?

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by grupe56:
A competent engine builder will use as solid a foundation for building an engine with as stable an internal assy as possible. Why in the world would any one want to use a chain and sprocket set up that's susceptible to stretching and possible timing variance problems is a question that could be asked to those that insist chains are a much better solution ? I've built engines from turbo charged 4 bangers to 500 cui + drag engines, simple rule to follow - stronger is better. This philosophy has led me to the strict use of nitride treating the internal reciprocating internals of any engine I've built to the strict practice of studding a block wherever possible (heads, mains, etc.). As to wanting to adjust the cam - that's why you degree your cam in the first place, there is a difference in quality & attention.

I agree with building a soild foundation, in all of your engine building you must have never used a pete jackson before. those things have so much slop you can move the crank at least 2* without the cam moving. When you put it together you will see. If you have ever used a good 3-gear drive you will notice they dont make noise. As for stronger you will never break a good chain, especially in a street car.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

grupe56
¯
Member # 5329

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for grupe56  Ford pictures for grupe56  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool, that's what I was wondering. I never used a Pete Jackson set up before - I'll make sure to stay away from them. Sorry if I came across a little harsh in my look at thing's - as a CAT tech I've seen and put together some bullet proof engines and the way I figure, if they build their stuff the way they do - how much of that technology can I carry over to my own personal build up's when comparable parts are available for my specific application. I recently built a 383 stroker for my kid brother, I'm kind of proud of myself... knowing I built probably one of the few bowties running around.
The only pair of hands I trust on my car are my own.

G-56

grupe56
¯
Member # 5329

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for grupe56  Ford pictures for grupe56  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Few RELIABLE bowties running around. Sorry... forgot to add that important piece of info.
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CDT:
quote:
Originally posted by grupe56:

I agree with building a soild foundation, in all of your engine building you must have never used a pete jackson before. those things have so much slop you can move the crank at least 2* without the cam moving. When you put it together you will see. If you have ever used a good 3-gear drive you will notice they dont make noise. As for stronger you will never break a good chain, especially in a street car.
[patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com