Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how hard is it to do bondo and minor fiberglass repair?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how hard is it to do bondo and minor fiberglass repair?
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my hood has a few little places that need touch-ups, no biggie...

but my pass door and the metal part underneath it need a bit of work. Ill post pics later today. I'm wondering how hard it is to do bondo... the maaco guy quoted me 5 hrs for the door, and 2.5 for the metal part under it.

is this somethign I could do in a weekend, or would it be easier on me to get a used door somewhere, seeing as ive never done any body work b4?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
306Coupe
¯
Member # 4988

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306Coupe  Ford pictures for 306Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a book on how to do it. You need a clean surface to work with and you have to get the mixture right. Practice on the door and if it doesn't come out right buy a door. good luck

--------------------
1987 Coupe- Not stock

GOHST FLAMED 90GT
¯
Member # 5251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOHST FLAMED 90GT  Ford pictures for GOHST FLAMED 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bondo is not the easiest thing to work with, but with practice its not to bad its a matter of being able to spread it good and like it was said before getting the mixture right. i would personaly have a body shop do it, cause if they mess somethin up its there fault.

--------------------
Beautiful GT

Posts: 100 | From: ANTIOCH, CALIFORNIA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would have a shop to do it, but maaco quoted me about $1300 for the body work and the single stage paint.

I'm prolly just gonna get a new sail panel and door to minimize the bodywork.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com