Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gear Ratio

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gear Ratio
gtmustang916
¯
Member # 3288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtmustang916  Ford pictures for gtmustang916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im getting some 3.73's put in tomorrow i have an automatic and i was wondering if i will feel a diiference when i take off from a stop??? will they make me a bit quicker???????

--------------------
1996 Red Gt 4.6--- K&N Air filter, Flowmasters and bassani o/r x-pipe

Posts: 165 | From: SaCtOwN 916 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man that's a long drive if your in sac to to san jose for gears....then you have to drive back on them when your not suppose to be driving over 65 for a while.

I'd go 4.10's

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will notice a difference, i went from 2.73 to 3.73s in my auto and it was alot faster from a stop.

--------------------
RACETUNE
2003 Torch Red Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports Suspension, Exhaust, 4:10's
12.9@105mph 1.88 60ft

gtmustang916
¯
Member # 3288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtmustang916  Ford pictures for gtmustang916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope i liv in oakland- im wondering because i have a good friend who has a 70 nova and he gets me off the line by about a half car length and then gets almost a 2 car lengths ahead of me at about 65-75 mph so i need to kick his ass

--------------------

Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if i was you i would go with 4.10 i had 3.73 with an auto and wish i didnt now im wanting to go with the 4.10

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 4.10 idea is a good one because you have an AOD. 3.73 for a 5 speed, or 4.10 just to go nutz

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gtmustang916:
Nope i liv in oakland-

Why don't you go to diff doctors LMAO lol

Yeah go with 4.10's now if you don't care about a lil extra gas 4.30's or even 4.56's [burnout]

and don't forget the posi rebuild, everyone skimps out on this one but it's good to have done when gears are being done since it's cheaper than to have them pop it open later.

can't win no races going up in smoke you know. [burnout]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
gtmustang916
¯
Member # 3288

I have lived in the bay area for about two years and i dont know any ford people, and i dont know of any performance shops around. So i dont know about the diff doctors, and everone including the rear end speacilists told me everyone go's with the 3.73's and is best for me but a friend of myne has a stock convertible gt with auto and 4.10's and its quick?? And also a guy told me if i went with 4.10's it would make my tranny wear out if its a daily driver, which its not??? so i have an appoint tomoroow at 10 am for my gears install so i have alot to think about. I want to go with a 5 spped swap bec i want my car to really be quick off the line, and im not rich. So im trying to make it a little bit quick even though its like 5 times to slow.......... for me thanks for all ur help!

--------------------

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cstang50:
if i was you i would go with 4.10 i had 3.73 with an auto and wish i didnt now im wanting to go with the 4.10

i agree.....although my switch in an aod was 3.27 - 3.73

so felt even less gain.

it still lagged off the line below 3000 rpm, i even had a 2200 stall and transgo shift kit....the car ran 14.40's on mickey's

i think 4.10's might have put it into the 13's
because w/ the weight and mph, the car should have gone 14.20's

but on street tires it spun too much and on slicks there was that "bog" from hell that i just couldn't get past. it wouldn't have bogged at all w/ the 10's

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With an AOD for sure go with 4.10s, shit i have 4.10s in my 5 speed car. Dont fear the gear [Razz]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com