Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Transmission Removal

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Transmission Removal
I Fear No Five O
¯
Member # 5185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Fear No Five O  Ford pictures for I Fear No Five O    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey everyone, I've decided that my transmission needs to be rebuilt and from what everyone tells me, ModernDriveLine is the best. So I called them up to set an appointment and they said that I need to pull out the tranny myself and take it to them. I've never pulled out a tranny before and was wondering if there's any advice on doing so or if there's anyone who's willing to help me. Oh and what's involved in the process of removing the tranny? Thanks.

- Tim

--------------------
"Haha, he's joking...It feels SO good when he jokes!" - Vince Vaughn, Wedding Crashers

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drain the oil
Unbolt the shifter inside the car
Take off the h pipe
Unbolt the driveshaft and remove it
Take all the connections off of the tranny
Put a floor jack under the tranny
Unbolt the 4 bolts that hold it to the bellhousing and then pull the trnny out and lower it.
Its pretty self explanatory once your under there, you can also buy a haynes or chiltons but it will probably basically say what i just typed

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
auto or manual??

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think bruce at modern driveline only does manual trannys [patriot]

--------------------
90 Notch

I Fear No Five O
¯
Member # 5185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Fear No Five O  Ford pictures for I Fear No Five O    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks a lot for the advice. Yeah, it's the stock T-5 (manual) that's in my '94 GT. Luckily, I have access to a lift, tranny jack, and all the tools. But I'm new to this stuff, so I'm going to need all the help I can get. How long will this take approximately and how heavy is the tranny itself?

--------------------
"Haha, he's joking...It feels SO good when he jokes!" - Vince Vaughn, Wedding Crashers

SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bout 2 hours i would say. prob like 100 lbs is my guess

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

quote:
Originally posted by SlowStockFox:
bout 2 hours i would say. prob like 100 lbs is my guess

yep [patriot]

--------------------
90 Notch

GOHST FLAMED 90GT
¯
Member # 5251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOHST FLAMED 90GT  Ford pictures for GOHST FLAMED 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pulling the tranny out isnt really that hard, im 17 and me and my friend did it in a day and with the acsess that you have to a lift it will make it much easier than useing jack stands

--------------------
Beautiful GT

Posts: 100 | From: ANTIOCH, CALIFORNIA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
50nuts
¯
Member # 5254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50nuts  Ford pictures for 50nuts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ January 30, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: 50nuts ]

--------------------
00 Dodge Durango

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Theres not really much to fuck up by pulling out a tranny
Now i wouldnt recommend opening the case if you dont know what your doing though [Big Grin]

--------------------
90 Notch

BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
Theres not really much to fuck up by pulling out a tranny
Now i wouldnt recommend opening the case if you dont know what your doing though [Big Grin]

Yep it's easy! You don't even need a book or anything just disconnect EVERYTHING and take it out!!
Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive pulled and bolted one up like 6 times in a day cause i kept fuckin up. its cake man

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I pulled an AOD out of my Tbird in the driveway using a floor jack and some blocks of wood, I'm sure you'll have a much easier time

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
I Fear No Five O
¯
Member # 5185

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Yeah, I'm going to pull out my tranny and take it to Bruce at ModernDriveLine to have it rebuilt. There's no way in hell I'm going to take apart the tranny and do it all myself, lol.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com