Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.6L rookie... general information?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4.6L rookie... general information?
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I have always owned 5.0's (about 6 of them), and just purchased a 98 with the mods in my sig. I don't know much about the 4.6L motors (or tranny) and wondered if you guys know of any general information floating aorund out there on the internet so I can get familiar with this thing.

Few quick hits as well:

What is the stock gear ratio?
What are the problem areas that I should be looking out for?

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do some research on:

www.Corral.net
www.Stangnet.com
www.ModularDepot.com

That should point you in the right direction

[patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

crazynorwegian
¯
Member # 5000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazynorwegian  Ford pictures for crazynorwegian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
98's came with 2.73's 3.08's or 3.27 depending on transmission and options. the door tag should have a letter under where it says "axle" M=2.73, E=3.27, Z=3.08

as for problems, the stock plastic npi(96-98) intake manifolds have been known to crack at the coolant crossover. you can replace it with a pi(99+) manifold with a aluminum crossover, and gain a few ponies, but it will require some extra modifications. they also make a npi manifold with a aluminum crossover that is a direct replacement, but will offer no gains.

other then that, and just replacing worn out parts, there hasn't been any real major issues with the 4.6

--------------------
98Gt tripple black Vert

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The guy I bought it from already had that problem a few months ago with the intake, and replaced it with the updated intake with aluminum crossover. Guess I got lucky not having to do that. I'll check my doortag in a minute... thanks for the info!

I've hit a few of those other Stang sites, nothing outside of the forums really in the way of basic makeup of the engines.....

Edit: Modular Depot had some good stuff. Looks like I will have to be heading to that site now, I've heard of it before but never had a use for it until now [patriot]

[ January 19, 2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: 94Blackout ]

--------------------

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Just looked at the doortag. It said "LE".... I guess I should assume that it means 3.27.

--------------------

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
usually ALL 96-up Gts came with 3.27's.

I just did a PI swap on my 97GT and i love it! still need to get tuned though..BUT big difference in torque, pulls a lot harder. best mod.

crazynorwegian
¯
Member # 5000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazynorwegian  Ford pictures for crazynorwegian    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine came with 2.73 stock. I changed them out to 4.10's and what a difference. the pi swap is a a great mod, but it does raise your compression, and if your running a lot of boost, you could get yourself into trouble

and yes the second letter is the one you want. mine said bm and I had 2.73's stock

[ January 19, 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: crazynorwegian ]

--------------------
98Gt tripple black Vert

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hmmm thats weird..why would they put different gears in the same car?? [Confused] [Confused]
crazynorwegian
¯
Member # 5000

I think 3.08's were for auto's. from what I've heard, gt's that came with 16" wheels from the factory had 2.73's. if you opted for the 17" wheels then it came with 3.27's.

--------------------
98Gt tripple black Vert

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Yeah, I'm not so sure I want to go that heavy on the mods anyways.... I think maybe just a small bump in the gears to have it a little more street friendly, seeing as though thats where it gets most of its mileage.

Thanks for the info fellas.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com