Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Weak weak idle (cold)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Weak weak idle (cold)
Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, I have a '95 GT (5.0) and it's idle has been going to hell lately.

Anytime the car wakes up from a cold start, the idle sits perfectly fine at 800, but if I pull out, and make a turn (in neutral), the engine will die, because apparently the PS belt is drawing too much from it when its cold. Also, when I blip the throttle (really just blip, not hold down the gas), the RPMS actually dip to where the car starts shuddering (around 400)
I looked at some old threads, but those idle problems all seemed to deal with older 5.0's and an initially HIGH RPM (3kish?) I don't get any of that.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ming

EDIT: P.S. Also, when I start it (and even when I keep the clutch depressed) I hear this funky metal scrapey noise after the engine's turned over...??

[ December 30, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Ming ]

--------------------
'95 GT
And she pings like a Chinese sports channel without the pong.

Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ming  Ford pictures for Ming    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
*bumpx0rs*

--------------------
'95 GT

92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry i cant help with the problem. but im pretty sure most cars rpm dips when you tap the gas. both my stangs did it, my old truck, shit even my bmw does it. thats nothing to worry about.

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you might want to start by cleaning the TB and the IAC. You might also have a problem with your coolant temp sensor not knowing your car is cold. Is it fine when it is warmed up?

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Ming
¯
Member # 2336

Yeah it runs decent when its warmed up.

Although that metal scrapey sound during starts sets me on edge too...

--------------------
'95 GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com