Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need advice from the engine swap masters..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice from the engine swap masters..
PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for PumaFiveOh  Ford pictures for PumaFiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to yank my motor pretty soon and just wanted to ask you guys that have done this several times what the best procedure would be.

Just wondering what you guys seem to think has worked the best for you:

1.) Remove tranny, driveline then cherry pick engine?

2.) Just unbolt everything and cherry pick the motor with the tranny attatched, and not have to touch driveline?

3.) Remove front bumper? Drop motor from underneath? Any special thing you guys have done that helped make it easier?

Basicaly any advice would be greatly appreaciated for someone doing their first stang engine swap. Thanks! [patriot]

--------------------
"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!"

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-Patton

88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88blackstanggt  Ford pictures for 88blackstanggt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take of all wire harnesses, clutch cable and fuel lines.remove your exhaust and driveshaft, then remove your tranny (you can leave the bell housing), then unbolt the motor mounts at the cross member its usually easier that way. then hook the chain to the motor hoisting ears that are mounted to the heads with the header bolts. if they are not there then you are going to have to remove the upper intake and use bolts to remove it. then as you are hoisting the motor out dont forget to remove the two ground straps off the back of the heads. from then its pretty straight forward. im sure i forgot something but thats the jist of it. good luck
Andrew

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It depends on what your doing. If the tranny has to come out anyway, pull it with the motor. Unbolt h pipe, driveshaft and crossmember from underneath, unhook all lines and wires up top, grab the motor by the accesory moutning bolts in the heads and yank everything out. Really not that tough, just bring up the motor slowly and then check to makes sure you havent missed any wiring or ground straps then pull it the rest of the way out.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88blackstanggt  Ford pictures for 88blackstanggt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the problem with hoisting the whole assembly out is that you have to get it at such an extreme angle that the front of the car has to be up in the air about two or three feet and then the cherry picker almost fully extends. just speaking from past experiences, from then on i have always done it in two pieces. but which ever way you feel more comfortable go for it im just putting in my .02

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for PumaFiveOh  Ford pictures for PumaFiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah it sounds like it's better if I just pull them sepratly. I'll drop the tranny then work my way to the engine. Is there a way I can slide the driveshaft out of the tranny, or pull the tranny forward off of the driveshaft or no?

I don't think it would be possible but my lazy ass is trying to keep from unbolting the driveshaft from the pumpkin if possible. Any idea or is unbolting it pretty much my only choice?

--------------------
"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!"

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-Patton

88blackstanggt
¯
Member # 4654

you know ive never tried so you might try but it may be more trouble than its worth. all you need is a 12mm 12pnt swivel head socket(standard socket and swivel wont work its too tight and will strip the bolts) or 12mm 12pnt wrench and take the four bolts off its hella easy.

--------------------
2001 lightning all stock
1991 gt all stock
2005 kawasaki zx10r

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so long as I live, my god as my witness, I will always try to re-install the engine and tranny together unless for some reason space/equipment dictates that is impossible. [patriot]

for removal, there is no reason not to just unbolt the engine from the bellhousing and leave the whole shebang attached to the car. don't forget a jackstand or something to support the tranny as normally it leans quite a bit on the engine and will lean forward and strain the tranny mounts.

[ December 15, 2004, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: JoeT ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah unless you need the tranny out then just leave it in. put a block of wood under it so it doesnt drop.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would vote for unbolting the tranny from the motor before pulling it out.

Me and a buddy did it that way and it worked like a charm.

Just pully off the upper intake and attach the chain to the lower intake bolt holes.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
GOTULKN
¯
Member # 4933

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOTULKN  Ford pictures for GOTULKN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always pull the tranny and motor together.... just makes it easier just jack the rearend a bit and it makes it easier......

--------------------
Happiness is being stroked and blown

stroked50
¯
Member # 4592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stroked50  Ford pictures for stroked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing, make sure all the wire connections are disconnected, disconnect fuel lines, disconnect exhaust from headers, clutch cable from bellhousing, motor mount bolts, and starter cable. That's the major parts. The rest is obvious to the eye. This way is very easy and took my 40 minutes to have the engine completely out, but I've done it 3 times. If it's your first time, it may take longer. Depending on the motor you are running you might want to swap out your tranny anyway. Go with the tremec 500. It's worth it. I have it behind my 331 with a spec stage 2 and it is great. I blew the t-5 while breaking in my motor and wasn't even driving hard ( only had 137 miles on enigne at the time). Need help... email stroked50@tmail.com
SPEC -Fabrication
¯
Member # 4980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPEC -Fabrication  Ford pictures for SPEC -Fabrication    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Un-bolt the D-shaft,or Unless you have a third hand or someone who will help TRY to respline the yoke into the trans. Very difficult I have done a few times an its much easier a Faster to un-bolt it., Blackstanggt is right<--12pnt use it [patriot]

--------------------
1999 Saleen#124
1997 Tahoe
2006 ZX636R
CWS certified welder

Posts: 1321 | From: drinkin BEER! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Thanks for all the info guys, this will help me greatly, pointing me in the right direction. I wish I could get a new tranny while I'm at it...but the engine cost is probably gonna set me back too much and I'll have to break in the motor with my crappy T-5. [Frown]

Stroked50 - thanks bro, I'll try not to bother you, but if I get really stuck or confused I might shoot you an e-mail.

So now does anyone have any recomondations on where I can rent or buy a cheap cherry picker? I preffer to rent. [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com