Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Got friggin rear-ended... recommendations?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Got friggin rear-ended... recommendations?
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got rear ended at a light today.... I'll try to attach pictures later. Nothin too messed up, trunk lid is toast, bumper is toast, right taillight is smashed, quarterpanels seem okay, exhaust seems okay. My question is with the frame. I couldn't really tell if it was driving differently, so when I bring it fo restimates will they be looking for this?

Also, should I report this with my insurance company, or should I try to settle it with the other guys insurance company who hit me first without mine getting involved? I've never been hit before (I've got a couple at faults under my belt...haha), so I'm not 100% on on how to handle it.

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont think they usually check if your frame is messed up?? i'd make sure to tell me to check that when you get it fixed!!

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would contact your insurance company. The guy may seem trustworthy, but if you take his word and he screws you, you'll be in a civil nightmare. Report it to your insurnace asap.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5OHS5OH:
I would contact your insurance company. The guy may seem trustworthy, but if you take his word and he screws you, you'll be in a civil nightmare. Report it to your insurnace asap.

[patriot]

Did you get a police report also?

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good luck [Frown]

took 7 weeks to get a settlement out of the other parties insurance company when I was rearended 2 months ago on the freeway.

one word of advice - when you get a rental car, bring cash for the deposit, if you use a credit card and the insurance company wants to jack around and change the billing to your card you will rack up charges like you wouldn't believe. Farms had to pay $1500 for my rental that I had for 5 weeks (yes 5, they wouldn't answer their damn phone for 1 week, then took a full week to "determine fault" because there was no police report [Roll Eyes] )

blah blah, good luck [Frown]

btw, your car does have frame damage, but there is no frame, its a unibody car. My advice would be to fight to have it totalled and get another car to replace it.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
jay-vee
¯
Member # 2708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jay-vee  Ford pictures for jay-vee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would doubt that there is frame damage if the 1/4's are straight, the 1/4's will usually buckle if there is frame damage. also check the floor and rear body panel for damage. the shop that you take your car to will check all of this when you get an estimate, and add for hidden damage after they do a tear down
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
every shop I went to for estimates did not put my car on a lift, none of them, I asked a couple to and they refused to.

on a unibody car, if you have enough of a hit to cause damage to more than one panel its safe to assume the chassis was tweaked somehow.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
jay-vee
¯
Member # 2708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jay-vee  Ford pictures for jay-vee    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you bring your car to a shop for an estimate they write the obvious damage-they can only write what they see, when they start working on the car they will supplement for any additional parts or labor that they need so you wouldn't need to lift the car during the initial estimate
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for the info guys.

I do have a police report, and I have already spoken with Geico, who is the insurance company for the other 2 people who were involved in the accident (apparently they are putting this on the last car in the accident, saying he pushed the guy behind me into my rear end).

So the damage to my car is pretty much going to be taken care of, not sure if they will total it or not... I'd rather them not, with the mods to the car I don't think I would get what I would want for it.

I wasn't originally going to go through my insurance agency, however my neck and back started to hurt today a little so I want to have them on my side in case there is a complicated injury settlement.

Do you guys know if all insurance companies will compensate for modifications and what not in the price of the car when they total it?

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you have any receipts on recent work or parts then you may want to present them to your insurance company.
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your insurance may not cover your additional mods unless you have additonal equipment coverage in your own policy.

My jet ski was hit over the summer and I refused to accept the other insurances total amount. I gave them all the reciepts of my mods.

They took those reciepts and had to redo their estiamte since they was insured was liable.

I made out very good. Keep pressing the issue.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just remember that only if it costs more to fix than your car is worth is it a "total loss"...

Do you have subframe connectors?...When my 86 GT was totalled I actually hit the drivers fender (on a tree) and it was the passenger side door and trunk that wouldn't open!...The stock unibody Mustang is weak.... [Frown]

Got any pics?

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
jay-vee
¯
Member # 2708

Some insurance companies go by the blue book for their values, while others go by average resale value in your area. Most times they won't take mods into acount when they do their valuation. I don't think you car would total because of a decklid, bumper, and tail lamp. Alot of shops are slow right now so they will want to fix your car because shops make money fixing cars not totaling them out.
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jay-vee:
. Alot of shops are slow right now so they will want to fix your car because shops make money fixing cars not totaling them out.

It is not up to the shop to decide whether the car is to be fixed or totalled. And most body shops this is the busiest time of the year. Winter is more prone to alot more car accidents.
jay-vee
¯
Member # 2708

the shop writes the estimate and sends that estimate to the insurance company for payment, if they write the estimate for less than 80% of the value of the car it is fixable. yes body shops usually are very busy this time of year, but in SF it is very slow and it has been since Aug. all of the adjustors and suppliers that I know say that its slow from the City all the way down to San Jose. usually this time of year the paper has plenty of jobs available because shops start to load up for the rain, this past week the Chronicle only had 2 ads looking for techs.
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

I will have pics up by the end of the day, hopefully.

I do have subframes, not sure if they helped or not in reinforcing the impact, but they couldn't have hurt.

So 80% of blue book is what they are looking at? Hmmmmm, someone told me this looks about 4k in damage, and the BB on my car is about 7, I believe.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com