Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » didnt pass smog.....

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: didnt pass smog.....
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighty8mclaren  Ford pictures for eighty8mclaren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 88 didnt pass smog,
the HC levels at 15mph were:
247 when the max is only 121,
at 25mph it was at 254 and the max is only 96,
the CO levels at 15mph passed,
at 25mph it measured 0.87 when the max is only 0.65,
the NO levels at 15mph measured 1695 when the max is only 807,
at 25mph it measured 1252 and the max is only 746...

can someone please tell me what i am going to have to do to make it pass. Would new cats do it? Or turning down my fuel preasure?

[ November 30, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: eighty8mclaren ]

Posts: 100 | From: los angeles | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. That will fail the visual. BUT- It does look like you are running quite rich.

List your complete combo, motor, exh, etc. New cats can only help, but the tune needs to be right, too.

J.

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighty8mclaren  Ford pictures for eighty8mclaren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
88 5.0 pretty much stock,
all visuals passed
stock fuel regulator,
bbk shorties,
flowmaster exaust,

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How many miles on it?

The O2 sensors may be toast if they are original.

eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

um... 199,533miles and yeah all sensors to my knowledge are original.

and thank you for your quick reply, you Rock!

[ November 30, 2004, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: eighty8mclaren ]

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Do the O2 sensors for sure. If they will "pre-test" you then you can see if they help. The cats are prolly ready for the pasture, too.
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

yeah dmv required me to get a testonly, so i just went and got a test, no need for a pretest since i already have to do testonly. but i went to a place that gives a free re-test if it were to fail and sure enough it did. all my visuals passed! its just my polluting chemical levels were overboard.
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

is there a way to turn down the fuel pressure so im not running so rich?
and what about my NO levels, what do i do about that? is that becuase of my cooling system might be junk?

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just do a full tune up if the wires, cap/rotor, and spark plugs are not that old well then leave them.

Check the air filter.
Change 02's and Cats
Oil if it's about that time also 2K+
Run 91 octane with a gallon of 100 octane or some racing alcohol.
Should pass with this your pretty close.

No need to lower the fuel pressure etc.

Clean out the egr passage on the upper and lower intakes over they years they clog.
Might try and bump the timing to 11-12 to lower the No levels. I can't remember if it's 2 degrees +or- or up to 4 now.

Probably can even borrow a stock H pipe from someone on here that is known to pass smog.

edit:ha your in LA [Big Grin] Probably disregard the last portion.

[ November 30, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Fostang ]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought using 87 octane was better for smog as more of it is burned than higher octane?

correct me if I'm wrong, I am also having pretty much the same exact results as this guy (failed HC and NOx) and failing smog.

I would also take your EGR off and clean that / check to make sure its working.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
I thought using 87 octane was better for smog as more of it is burned than higher octane?

correct me if I'm wrong, I am also having pretty much the same exact results as this guy (failed HC and NOx) and failing smog.

I would also take your EGR off and clean that / check to make sure its working.

Everytime I've smogged a car with higer octane it ran cleaner on the dyno.

and I think I need to correct that bumping the timing lower NOx I think it's the other way.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's all stock and that many miles...your cats are done. I'd scare up a good used H pipe, some new O2's, full tune up (including oil change), and kill the timing to 8*. It should pass.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

thank you guys, my timing read at 9 when i just got the test, i still have my stock hpipe on there i think, and i put new plugs, wires, cap&rotor less than 30,000 miles ago. just changed the oil 2days ago. and have 91octane in her.
BlueLightning302
¯
Member # 3974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueLightning302  Ford pictures for BlueLightning302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I change my cap/plugs/rotor every year [Confused]

--------------------
Originally Member #935

2003 Mustang Cobra - Some mods

"Well, atleast the slow one's trying!!" - Al Bundy

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
before the test drive it hard and get it warmed up really well. Then when you get there let it idle until they pull it up on the dyno.

My last smog I mashed Cherry Street in Fremont a good 10-15 min. then went strait to smog. Car passed with flying colors.

BlackNGold was at a test only place and the guy there told him after his car failed to rev the motor to like some outragous rpm and hold it there until he said stop. So he did just that and sure enough...PASSED [Eek!] [burnout] .
87 merc. though not mustang.

1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The first time i failed the smog in my 5.0, so i lowered the fuel pressure some. I also got some of the smogg additive and ran it for a whole tank. I also made sure i had no exhaust leaks and put in some new 02 sensors. Then before i smogged it i held the car at 3500 rpms for a min to get the cats reall hot. The car passed with flying colors.

--------------------
RACETUNE
2003 Torch Red Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports Suspension, Exhaust, 4:10's
12.9@105mph 1.88 60ft

jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are your O2 readings. If the air pump system isn't working right the cats will work like crap.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

BlueLightning302
¯
Member # 3974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueLightning302  Ford pictures for BlueLightning302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i passed easily with no smog pump, with tfs heads/intake/e303 and all the supporting bolt ons. this year is different, got to take it to a smog only station so im fucked.

--------------------
Originally Member #935

2003 Mustang Cobra - Some mods

"Well, atleast the slow one's trying!!" - Al Bundy

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com