Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help with ignition wiring....car wont start

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with ignition wiring....car wont start
89nevermind
¯
Member # 4574

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89nevermind  Ford pictures for 89nevermind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was driving my car on the freeway and the car just died. Opened the hood and a wire next to my battery was smoking...alot! The car is now at a tow yard and i need to get it out but i need to be able to drive it so i dont have to tow it home. Someone said it was the ignition wire and thats wut i thought too.

Basically I need wutever help i can get. Wiring is not a strong point for me.
any suggestions?

thanks brad

--------------------
If you dont know Kelly's name get the hell out! .... drunk girls are funny

GOTULKN
¯
Member # 4933

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOTULKN  Ford pictures for GOTULKN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is a yellow wire that always fries on these cars... Under the starter silanoid (SP) Just go to your local parts store and ask for a fusible link....

--------------------
Happiness is being stroked and blown

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GOTULKN:
There is a yellow wire that always fries on these cars... Under the starter silanoid (SP) Just go to your local parts store and ask for a fusible link....

That is correct. Most likely a fusible link burned. However, fusible links don't burn for no reason. They are meant to burn in an event of a battery voltage short to ground (in order to protect the rest of the wiring harness). Replacing the fusible link will result in the fusible link burning again unless the short is located and repaired. Very possible cause may be the ignition switch itself. The very same thing happened to a friend's '88 Saleen (driving along the road, car dies, will not re-start, no power whatsoever, noticed fusible link burned, etc.) Traced the problem to an internally shorted ignition switch. I don't know if that's the problem with your car but it may be worth checking out.
89nevermind
¯
Member # 4574

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89nevermind  Ford pictures for 89nevermind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the fusible link easy to install? cuz i gotta do this at the tow yard

--------------------

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89nevermind:
is the fusible link easy to install? cuz i gotta do this at the tow yard

In a jam you could cut off the burnt portion and, with a wire crimper, use some solderless butt connectors to connect the new fusible link. Ideally, you would want to solder the new fusible link on there and use heat shrink tubing.
89nevermind
¯
Member # 4574

The ground for the battery also started smokin.Would that have caused anything to short out other than the yellow wire? do i just get a replacement wire or something?

thanks

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com