Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » friend says head gasket

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: friend says head gasket
pepsi_blue_88
¯
Member # 2712

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepsi_blue_88  Ford pictures for pepsi_blue_88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car now runs hot and there is smoke coming from under the hood and the smoke from the tail pipe is worse so i've been told to ride untill the motor goes does that sound right?
Posts: 536 | From: east bay 510 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by pepsi_blue_88:
my car now runs hot and there is smoke coming from under the hood and the smoke from the tail pipe is worse so i've been told to ride untill the motor goes does that sound right?

yeh it sounds like a very possible headgasket, but don't drive it until the motor goes, it may be salvageable.
check the oil and see if it looks a little milky.

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why dont you change the gasket and the motor will last longer. do a compression test first cause you might have wore a cylinder/ring. it could also be an intake gasket

and like shok said, check the oil for water and water for oil

[ November 06, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: HungryHippo ]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
why dont you change the gasket and the motor will last longer. do a compression test first cause you might have wore a cylinder/ring. it could also be an intake gasket

and like shok said, check the oil for water and water for oil

a blown HG or cracked head (possibility) can throw off a compression test, so it won't necessarily be any help telling you if your rings/cylinder are worn. However the compression test can help you figure out which head has the problem, atleast it has for me in the past YMMV
Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com