Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » thoughs on "carb'd"

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: thoughs on "carb'd"
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you all think of a carb'd setup in a '95? I'm out in AZ now so I don't have to deal with emissions, so besides that what else do you think? Driveability issues in the cold weather? worse gas mileage? FYI this would theoretically be on a 351 block w/ 8.6:1 compression...

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im going carbd someday when i can afford the swap and after im done playing with my current FI setup in my 357w:patriot:

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your goal is just to have something different, I think it would be cool. A simple carb'd engine looks so clean without all the smog crap. My '85 has never had a fuel problem or hard starting and it just turned 20 years old last week.

If you're looking to switch for performace gains, that's an awfull lot of work for 20hp or so and loss in torque.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey i started a thread on another stang site about moving to arizona and how the smog is. I was told that as long as the smog equipment stays you can do what you want, like put in a bigblock as long as you keep the smogpump and cat. can you chime in with more specifics about the smog stuff?
i'm thinking moving there in a couple of years might be a good idea.

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
depends on where you live. The county/city I live in doesn't have smog requirements, but Phoenix does.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey dave just noticed, your location is about 800 miles off [Razz]

why do you want to go to a carb??

i am putting a carb on the cobra but am also redoing the motor to suit a carb, and it runs like ass for some reason

so whats your reason, except free of nazi CA smog laws

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

cheap
¯
Member # 858

Because 302 parts on a 351 make 302 power. I want to upgrade my heads and intake, and probably the only way I'll be able to do that for $0 is to trade my mild EFI setup for a more wild carb setup, so I'm just checking my options.

and yeah I'm a ways away from the bay area now, about 1.5 hours North of Phoenix. It snowed here yesterday!

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not just keep the EFI and go with a spyder intake and elbow?

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com