Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car Idleing VERY retarded...advice please

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car Idleing VERY retarded...advice please
WhitePoint
¯
Member # 4642

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for WhitePoint  Ford pictures for WhitePoint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off, when I try to start it, it struggles to start. I have to hold the ignition on for a few seconds (5 was the most [Eek!] ) before it decides to start. When it does start, it idles VERY rough and sometimes dies unless I hold it at 2 rpm 'till it warms up. Most of the time it dies if I don't hold it at 2 or 1.5 rpm, otherwise it idles hella rough. What would you say this is? I was thinkin spark plugs/spark plug wires or maybe a bad fuel pump? Lmk Asap!! I really want to fix this. Thanks! [patriot]

--------------------
Yeah you'll see my hazards, but not because I'm broken down

WhitePoint
¯
Member # 4642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitePoint  Ford pictures for WhitePoint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was thinkin maybe a vaccum leak? I was also told that it may be my airflow sensor....what do you guys think? [Confused]

--------------------

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why don't you start by checking everything you just listed? That way, you can eliminate those as potential sources of your problem and then get back to us with what you have discovered.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
WhitePoint
¯
Member # 4642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhitePoint  Ford pictures for WhitePoint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, it's just that I didn't want to spend the money to replace all of that stuff if I didn't have to....oh well I guess I have no choice [Frown]

--------------------

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BLOWN MOTOR.........j/k

When was the last time you did any kind of tune up????

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
WhitePoint
¯
Member # 4642

Damn as far as I know the guy before me never tuned it up and I just put in a new cap and rotor....I'm putting in new spark plugs this week. I might buy a fuel pump to see what goes on when I install that.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the fuel pump is bad its usually a on/off type thing, i.e. if the fuel pump is bad the car wont run at all.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
WhitePoint
¯
Member # 4642

Ok guys, I just put in a cap and rotor, spark plugs, and ford racing wires and it doesn't lag on the start anymore, but it still idles weird (below 1rpm maybe 75) and it idles kinda choppy. Not super rough, but enough for me to notice. Mass air flow sensor? [Confused]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
replace the fuel filter yet?

its a v8, it will idle like one [dance]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

WhitePoint
¯
Member # 4642

Not yet...it hasn't been doin anything that's made me think it was that. It doesn't 'put 'put in the middle of drivin or anything, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to change it and find out. That's next week, I'll let you know the results [Big Grin]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

fuel filter should be replaced every 15k miles but on most cars they are never replaced [Roll Eyes]

takes like 5 minutes to do it too, lol

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com