Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Exhaust choking me and burning my eyes...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Exhaust choking me and burning my eyes...
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I swapped out the BBK afpr because it wouldn't drop it below 47psi. I figured it was running really rich because of this and that's why the exhaust was like this. I put in a Kirban, set the fuel pressur to like 33 and it still spits out this exhaust. Any other ideas as to why it's doing this? I disconnected the battery to see if it's the computer but I haven't checked it yet because it's started to rain again.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wtf you better raise the fuel pressure.

It needs fuel pressure to squeeze the gas in throught the injectors or it just puddles instead of spraying.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I'll do that. But what's causing the messed up exhaust?

What approximate fuel pressure do you suggest? When I raise it, the car bogs in the low RPMs.

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to guess that you have an offroad h/x-pipe. That is most likely what is causing the smell/burn to your eyes.

It doesn't mean that your car is rich and most likely if your 02 sensors are in good condition your AF is around 14:1 at idle.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its just thrown me off because it hasn't always done this. I talked to Jonny and he suggested swapping out the C&L for a Pro-M. I'll probably end up doing that, but any other suggestions would also be nice.

Thanks for the reply Jeff.

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Like Jeff was mentioning about the O2's, how old are yours?...What is your timming at?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

O2s are a few months old. I think timing is at 14*.

Ya know... when I was talking with Jon, I realized that I haven't cleaned off my MAF sensor in a while and my air filter is pretty filthy. I'm gonna spray it off and see if it turns things around maybe.

--------------------

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The funny thing about A/F ratios is that both rich and lean can burn your eyes. Rich usually idles too high and lean at idle sounds rough. Rich has too much gas and that will make your eyes burn. Lean will misfire, resulting in unburnt gas in the exhaust. See "rich" for further explaination.

Start with the stock 39psi w/0 vacuum (disconnect the reference line)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com