Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smoking valve cover stem??????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smoking valve cover stem??????
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, i bought this Sh!ttyyyy motor on impulse. I instaled it, it turns on and runs(LIKE Sh!T) So I'm going to have (HaulinAssMaro) fix it. But I just want to know WHY is thier smoke coming out of the valve cover stem.

Symptoms:
Sounds like sh!t (not loud at all, it has Off road H and heders)
(faint) but really rapid clicking
revs really really slow
a lot of smoke coming from valve cover stem (smells like oil and un burned gas

I have adjusted the timing, tps and fuel pressure

any ideas will help, thanks.

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where did you buy it from? i would try and take it back unless it was a "no return/warranty" deal

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not going to say any names, YET. Thier is a BIG possibilty that he had no idea that thier was any thing wrong with the motor. Once (HaulinAssMaro) finds the problem, If he says that it was defitinley doing this before the motor was pulled and it's not form "just sitting around". I WILL let the members of this fourm know his user name. I WILL make sure that other members DO NOT BUY ANY THING or get riped off by him.

He gave me his WORD "it runs strong, trust me. I dont sell bad sh!T" As far a return goes, I have not asked yet. but Im almost + he will deny any knowledge of this motor being damaged.

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the clicking get louder and faster as the motor revs? Have you checked to see if the rocker arms aren't loose/broken. Could also be a bent valve.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does it have suffecient oil pressure?
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

No, the clicking does not get louder, it gets faster as it climbs and back fires. I cant tell if it is a exhaust leak or clicking in the motor (most likley both), I CAN hear the clicking in my exhaust pipes (maybe an echo) if I stand behind my car.

It holds really good oil presure.

A bent valve has crosed my mind also. I have'nt taken a look at the rockers arms yet. What would be some of the symptoms of a bent valve.

BTW: I looked at the valves when the hedders were off, all were white one was black and shiney [Confused] The black and shiney valve is bent right?? I thought I'd get lucky and it would go away.

Anyways LMK, thanks guy's [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a bent valve should show up in a leakdown test. It would also be hinted at if one side shows up leaner then the other (the misfire results in unused O2 in the exhaust).

The clicking isn't too unusual for roller rockers depending on how loud it is. If it's actually exhaust coming out the valve cover stem it could be a destroyed valve guide. I've also seen really bad blow-by look like this as well. Are you sure it's smoke and not steam?

If it were me I'd be doing a compression check and leakdown test to see who's the offending cylinder. Once you narrow it down, remove the rocker arms from that cylinder and test again to make sure it isn't just a valve being hung open by rockers that were adjusted too tight.

How do the plugs look?

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my gf's 5.0 hadn't been drivin for 10 months a few months ago, when I started it up it smoked a shitload from the valvecovers for about 20 minutes of idling. It went away though.

there was no clicking, but I always attributed clicking to exhaust leaks, so I would just go through all the bolts and tighten them up [dance]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stop waisting your time with it and return it. If what your saying is ture then the motor isn't what it was claimed to be.
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Yeah i know, your right I should just return it. I honestly dont think he will take it back though. I F@#ked up by not documenting anything. I was in a big hurry just to get out of thier, it wasn't in the best part of Sac. I'll PM him and see wsup with the return. If not, i'll run it for a while and see what happens. If that doesn't work im just going to have (HaulinAssMaro) finish it for me. Thanks for the advise guys I appreciate it. I'll keep you all posted on this guy if in fact he is a scamer.

[patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best of luck with it...how long was it sitting before you bought it? Did it fall over or anything? Maybe oil just got everywhere? Did you do an oil change on it while it was out of the car...I'd have done the basic shit to it while out of the car oil, plugs, wires etc....good time to have done the oil pan and gasket too.
Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the smoke coming from the valve covers sounds like blowby to me also. a little smoke from there is no big deal, but if its a lot then i would suspect cylinder sealing. I guess it may be possible for a HG to let go in such a way to cause that, but I'd still guess rings.
Even a compression check which is simple to do should narrow things down.

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Maybe, but thier is not a trace of smoke out my tail pipes??????

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well the closest comparison i can come up with would be with a car i had a long time ago equiped with a 350 chevy. it had smoke like a mofo coming out the valve cover, which progressed to oil even coming up where the intake meets the head. while this was going on there was barely any smoke coming out the tailpipe.
the really weird part was when i tore it down i have a cracked piston and broken ring, so how the hell it didnt smoke out the tailpipe is sorta a mystery to me. go fig, it was a chevy [Razz]
let us know what it turns out to be.

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com