Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How hard is it to recharge AC

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How hard is it to recharge AC
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can i do it myself or should i take it to the shop?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's this for an 89?...If so, then you have to consider retrofitting your R12 system to R134A freon...

R12 is the type of freon that came charged in, I believe pre 94 Ford vehicles, A/C systems...R12 is expensive, but they do make kits to convert to R134A....

When you recharge your system it's always best to replace the o-rings too...

Basically, it might be best left to a professional... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I'd let a good shop do the recharge for you. I have heard some complaints about the 134 conversion. I guess the adapter fittings really suck and tend to leak. I think if I was doing the conversion I would research the best conversion kit available.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did the R134 conversion.... do yourself a favor and stay with the freon. R134 just isnt that cold.

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've used the r134a conversion do it yourself kits like 4 times, on one install the car wouldn't blow cold unless it was above idle, the others were nice and cold, so overall i've been pretty happy with the results. i recommend it for those on a budget.

[ September 06, 2004, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Shok ]

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com