Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need help with push rods

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need help with push rods
BOTTLED.LX
¯
Member # 3267

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTTLED.LX  Ford pictures for BOTTLED.LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok heres the problem i took my heads of today and see most of the push rods are bent what could of caused this? push rods to long [Confused] mods are gt-40's, tfs1 cam(stock push rods) etc.

--------------------
SOUTHBAYSTANGS
95 STANG GTS AFR'D,CAM'D,INTAKE ON JACK STANDS
99 RANGE ROVER 22'S SPINNERS
64 IMPALA W/WET KANDY PAINT
80 CADILLAC COUPE DEVILLE

Posts: 1281 | From: E. SAN JOSE.CA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcm3man  Ford pictures for jcm3man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the push-rod length measured when the heads were originally installed?

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com
Diablosport, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, etc.

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
improper valve lash is what it sounds like.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lucky,
How did you set the rocker arms up?

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

BOTTLED.LX
¯
Member # 3267

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTTLED.LX  Ford pictures for BOTTLED.LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Lucky,
How did you set the rocker arms up?

[Confused] [Big Grin] what do you mean by setting them up?

--------------------
SOUTHBAYSTANGS

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

LOL

I mean

they are pedestal mount rockers.

Did you bring each cylinder you where working on to TDC then tightened them till you couldn't with your hand then used a torque wrent to set them to 18 lbs in less than 3/4's of a turn but if you go over 3/4's you need shims and under 1/4 of a turn to get to 18 lbs you need shorter pushrods.

Repeat for each cylinder.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all you have to do is make sure both the lifters for the cylinder your working on are all the way down than torque to spec. thats it. most likely you DO NOT need shims. if you bent pushrods than you probably over reved the engine. either way i would run hardened pushrods, there cheap. pedestal mount are NON-ADJUSTABLE what there at is what there at if you know what i mean.

[ August 18, 2004, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Incorrect.

They are adjustable, hense the shims.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Incorrect.

i've never had to shim any pedestal mount rocker. especially on direct bolt on gt40 heads. maybe i've just been lucky. [patriot]

[ August 18, 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The variables for a pushrod/cam/rocker combo are numerous. Everything from Deck height to heads being previously milled to pushrod length factors in. Not to mention there is more than one way to measure a pushrod and not all manufacturers use the same method.

Yes, consider yourself lucky. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

onesicklx
¯
Member # 285

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for onesicklx  Ford pictures for onesicklx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:
quote:
Incorrect.

i've never had to shim any pedestal mount rocker. especially on direct bolt on gt40 heads. maybe i've just been lucky. [patriot]
same here ive never had to used any shim on any of my mustangs...one of them ran low 12's and the other 2 ran 11's..... [Confused]
Posts: 1955 | From: san jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Guys, keep in mind...if/when you install a cam, and you bought that cam as a KIT, the manufacturer has set it up for you. Otherwise, what has been posted previously holds true. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

thanks for the good info JohnB, you've always been real knowledgeable. [Smile]
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

No problem. [Smile]

Most times with 302's, you won't run into problems. 351's though, different story. A 351w I'm currently working on needed .060 shorter ones and the cam is only a .510ish lift. Save yourself the hassle and just get stud mount!

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

quote:
No problem. [Smile]

Most times with 302's, you won't run into problems. 351's though, different story. A 351w I'm currently working on needed .060 shorter ones and the cam is only a .510ish lift. Save yourself the hassle and just get stud mount!

heard that, studs are definately the way to go. [patriot]
2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2fstfru  Ford pictures for 2fstfru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry to steal your thread Lucky,

I have a set of 6025's port stage 1.
Would the stock pushrods fit with an E-303 cam, FMS 1.6 rollor rockers, or would i need to get a new different set?

All this is going on a stock block.

Thanks, [patriot]

--------------------
SPEED KILLS!....Drive a Chevy live FOREVER!

BOTTLED.LX
¯
Member # 3267

quote:
Originally posted by 2fstfru:

Would the stock pushrods fit with an E-303 cam, FMS 1.6 rollor rockers, or would i need to get a new different set?

Thanks, [patriot]

[patriot] thanks for the reply's [patriot]

--------------------
SOUTHBAYSTANGS

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

quote:
Originally posted by 2fstfru:

Thanks, [patriot]

6025's are RPM stud mount heads with 2.02 intake valves.

If you looked at the casting number which is 6025 all edelbrock heads have that cast on them.

Only one way to find out is to check too many variables possible in getting the correct push rod lenght.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Sal's right, they all say 6025...due to all being cast as a like item, then assembled. With that combo, you'll need shims or different pushrods. The FMS rockers pushrod cup isn't as deep as the stamped steel rocker. Last setup I used like this required .015 shims, I & E.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2fstfru  Ford pictures for 2fstfru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks guys! [patriot]

--------------------
SPEED KILLS!....Drive a Chevy live FOREVER!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com