Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » did 85 LX 5.0 have TBI????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: did 85 LX 5.0 have TBI????
5litereater
¯
Member # 4427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5litereater  Ford pictures for 5litereater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just traded my super fast VW for an 85 LX 5.0 drop top stallion. i popped the hood and took the lid off the air cleaner and noticed it has throttle body injection. i thought 85 and olders were all carbbed? it has an in tank electric pump an emergency shutoff and all the wiring appears to be stock. it also has exhaust manifolds and the valve covers are stamped steel blue oval insignia instead of aluminum powered by ford valve covers. is it bone stock or did some jackass swap a truck motor in it and if they did, is it still a roller motor? please help me as i have to smog it within 30 days from now

--------------------
85 LX 5.0 vert with a new credit card and huge plans.
no matter how bad your mustang is, it will not hang with a 5.7 3rd gen f body

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm sorry to say, but you have the 180 hp, CFI / fuel injected 5.0L.... [Frown]

Those Stang's were still offered in 85 along with the 210hp 4 barrel carb 5.0...

I don't think the throttle body inj 5.0 was a "roller" engine, but I could be wrong...Either way, save up and take that old motor out and give that four eyed freak what it deserves...MORE POWER!!! [Big Grin] [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
carajo
¯
Member # 4426

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for carajo  Ford pictures for carajo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
in 85,mustangs with
auto-cfi
stick-holley

--------------------
06 magnum srt8 6.1
05 f250 lifted
94 gt wait till you see me!

Posts: 1468 | From: hate`n in richmond | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Auto-Flat Tappet cam
Stick-Roller cam

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

I thought they were rated at 130 or 150 depending on when in the 85 model year they were built?
Anyway very similiar to my motor, or maybe identical would be more accurate, I have an 85 Capri with CFI and auto tranny.
If I had the money and time I would swap to SEFI, but I don't and will prolly just sell the car.

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Shok:
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

I thought they were rated at 130 or 150 depending on when in the 85 model year they were built?
Anyway very similiar to my motor, or maybe identical would be more accurate, I have an 85 Capri with CFI and auto tranny.
If I had the money and time I would swap to SEFI, but I don't and will prolly just sell the car.

Sometime during 1985, the 5.0L CFI received a lower-restriction air cleaner and exhaust system with dual mufflers which boosted power output to 180 BHP @ 4200 RPM while torque figures rose to 260 Ft-Lb @ 2600 RPM...Otherwise it had the 165hp version.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
5litereater
¯
Member # 4427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5litereater  Ford pictures for 5litereater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well its not a roller so that sucks azz. as long as its the origonal motor so i can get it smogged. then after that the motor comes out along with the tranny. it will be converted to 5 speed with a 347 stroker roller motor with some trick flow heads, edelbrock RPM air gap intake, holley street avenger 760 cfm carb, BBK long tube headers, and..... you know i could go on forever. anyways thanks for the info. i also need info on converting auto cars to stick cars. pm me and let me know if you have any info

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
swap the pedels, remove the shifter, swap the tranny's, re-route the speedo cable, route the clutch cable.

I believe you need a new U-joint because the auto's is longer, but I used the FMS alum. driveshaft in my swap so I can't comment.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always thought it was the seller's responsibility to smog the car...

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
5litereater
¯
Member # 4427

well being that the car i traded wouldnt pass smog if its life depended on it, i didnt really think it would be fair to make him fix this car so it would smog. does my car have a speedo cable or is it VSS? if its VSS can i still convert to a stick without any problems?

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
VSS is 1996+ I believe

A variation of the VSS was used in the MAF cars from `88-`93 but they still used a speedo cable, so yours being an `85 I'll have to say its speedo cable.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com