Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » CRANKS BUT WONT START?????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: CRANKS BUT WONT START?????
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright, I don't know what the hell happend. I was driveing around, got home, left my fan on when I went to start it the battery was dead. I jumped it and now it just cranks but wont start. What could have happend. [Confused]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcm3man  Ford pictures for jcm3man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuel or ignition...

usually!

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com
Diablosport, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, etc.

six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think ingition but what part. I have spark from the coil.

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcm3man  Ford pictures for jcm3man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check a plug wire from a cylinder to verify the pickup works on the distributor

also check that you have fuel pressure if you have a gauge

I would also check and make sure you didn't break a distributor gear

any check engine light?

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Charge the battery for a while if you can, if the only thing that happened was that the battery went completely dead. If the engine cranks, is it cranking slow or fast? Even if the motor cranks over, it may not be cranking over fast enough to start.
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you turn on your ignition try to hear if your fuel pump turned on! Could be a fuel pump relay or pump! Good luck and let us know what it is.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

I went in the car and turned the ingition on and I did NOT hear the fuel pump. How do I check the relay & fuel pump

THANKS GUYS [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine died a while back, turned out to be the fuel pump switch in the back, it shorted open. U might also check the relay under the seat too.

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Find the fuel pump relay and tap it with your fingers, if the car starts then its the relay if not a fuel pump. check out www.autoperformanceengineering.com
they have good prices on walboro fuel pumps.
Goodluck! [patriot]

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

quote:
Originally posted by six 5.0:
I went in the car and turned the ingition on and I did NOT hear the fuel pump. How do I check the relay & fuel pump

You can try to have someone turn the car to the on position and you can listen for the pump at the gas tank or really to be sure would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and watch for fuel pressure when the key is turned to the on position.

If no fuel pressure it is either the pump or the relay usually.

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Do you hear a click when the key gets put in the on position but no pump? If you hear the relay clicking most likely it is still good. The only sure fire way to know is to check for 12 volts at the rear. You can check it in a number of places from the fuel shutoff switch behind the rear panel to the fuel pump harness which runs through the floor down to the tank. If your not getting a momentary 12 volts when you key the car on in any of those places theres a problem either in the relay, safety shut off switch, or wiring. If you are getting 12 volts with a key on the problem is likely the pump or connection to the pump. Also check and make sure your impact switch in the rear is pushed in. [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
quote:

Do you hear a click when the key gets put in the on position but no pump? If you hear the relay clicking most likely it is still good. The only sure fire way to know is to check for 12 volts at the rear. You can check it in a number of places from the fuel shutoff switch behind the rear panel to the fuel pump harness which runs through the floor down to the tank. If your not getting a momentary 12 volts when you key the car on in any of those places theres a problem either in the relay, safety shut off switch, or wiring. If you are getting 12 volts with a key on the problem is likely the pump or connection to the pump. Also check and make sure your impact switch in the rear is pushed in. [patriot]
what he said! [Cool]

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com