Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what other Ford Cars/trucks had the 302 block?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what other Ford Cars/trucks had the 302 block?
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wondering what other ford vehicles had 302 blocks that are compatible with the Mustang, there aren't too many mustangs out on Guam? Any help would be great, thanks.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anything that had a 302 is compatible as far as the block goes...The only differences are the imbalance if you are using the rotating assy, (28 vs 50oz) and for the block itself, 1 or 2 piece rear main seal. Crown vic/grand marquis, trucks, vans, explorers, tbirds, LTD, town cars, mark VII, and mustangs all had the same blocks.
S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
Anything that had a 302 is compatible as far as the block goes...The only differences are the imbalance if you are using the rotating assy, (28 vs 50oz) and for the block itself, 1 or 2 piece rear main seal. Crown vic/grand marquis, trucks, vans, explorers, tbirds, LTD, town cars, mark VII, and mustangs all had the same blocks.

All the above plus early blocks used flat tappet hydraulic lifters while the later blocks ('85-later) used hydraulic roller lifters. The difference in the blocks being that the lifter bores in the roller blocks are taller to accomodate the taller roller lifters which mean you can't use the oem hydraulic roller lifter in an early model block (Crane Cams does make a roller lifter conversion that uses shorter roller lifters for a non-roller block).

[ July 26, 2004, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: SALEENx3 ]

wrk horse
¯
Member # 3922

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrk horse  Ford pictures for wrk horse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SALLENx3;
Is right. If you what a HO. To use in your gt.
Try looking at lincons.
You can narrow them down by the passenger side pointing intakes.
Then check the firing order.
HO's are different than non HO's.
I have never found a HO in a truck,t bird,crown vic. When junkyarding. They may have them [stock] I have never found one.
I have found them in lincon's: lsc's,mark vIII's [?].
If you find a lsc. You might want the rearend for it's disc brakes. But that is another topic.
A late 90's explorer with a v8 is another topic.
take the intake/heads. leave the block

1fast281
¯
Member # 4670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fast281  Ford pictures for 1fast281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Mark VII's came with the 5.0 HO, the Mark VIII's came with the 4.6 DOHC teksid blocks.

[ July 27, 2004, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: 1fast281 ]

--------------------
1998 Mark VIII LSC Black/Graphite
2005 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black

wrk horse
¯
Member # 3922

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wrk horse  Ford pictures for wrk horse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mark VII's.
Thanks I couldnt remember VII or VIII

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com