Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How difficult is motor mount swap?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How difficult is motor mount swap?
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been thinking of swapping out the rubber motor mounts on my 5.0 because they look like mush. How difficult is swapping in new urethane motor mounts? Does the engine need to be lifted and transmission disconnected?
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
engine lifted yes but tranny disconnected no. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I take it that the headers would need to be loosen at the collector flanged. Anything else like lines or wiring that would need to be disconnected before lifting the engine?
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
exhaust usually can stay on really nothing should need to be disconnected usually if you lift one engine side at a time it will work and it dosent have to come up that far just afew inches the tranny mount might poss. have to come loose but cant remember.

--------------------

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Remove both motor mount nuts, Place a jack under the front of the oil pan with a 2X4 on the jack pad. Offset the wood to the side you are doing. No need to losen the exhaust. If this is a fox body remove both the upper fan shroud mounting screws. Slowly jack the motor up watching and listening for anything not allowing the movement. Once you reach a height where the mount can be removed take the bolts out of the mount from under the car. Wiggle the old mount out and place the new one in. Lower the motor back down and repeat the process for the other side. Make sure the alignment dowels on the new motor mounts are in their holes on the K-member

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Cool guys, I'll make a note. Thanks. [Cool]

[ June 16, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Yung Than ]

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

or if you have the luxury such as mike and i you can use a cherry picker to lift instead of jacking from below be careful if you do you dont want to dent the pan AT ALL. [patriot]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleNotch:
or if you have the luxury such as mike and i you can use a cherry picker to lift instead of jacking from below be careful if you do you dont want to dent the pan AT ALL. [patriot]

haha actually I use an engine craddle which rest between the front fenders and grabs the motor up with a strap around the crank. Handy little $60 item I bought to do headers on 2V and 4V's to remove the k-member and to do motor mounts with.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20787&item=2395261080

This is similar to what I am talking about to all the shop owners out there needing this type of tool. This one is the heavy duty model. I don't use the drop down hooks and chains just run a ratchet strap around the bar and sling it around the crankshaft. Worth its weight in gold I tell ya.

--------------------

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20787&item=2395261080

This is similar to what I am talking about to all the shop owners out there needing this type of tool. This one is the heavy duty model. I don't use the drop down hooks and chains just run a ratchet strap around the bar and sling it around the crankshaft. Worth its weight in gold I tell ya.

With this tool, you would use some ratchet-straps then connect this assembly to a cherry picker to lift it? Sounds useful.
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

No, you lift the motor up with the ratchet strap... a good sized one. No need for the cherry picker.

--------------------

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd agree - I've seen these little beauties used in many k-member swaps. It's really a slick tool.
WANARNM
¯
Member # 587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WANARNM  Ford pictures for WANARNM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleNotch:

haha actually I use an engine craddle which rest between the front fenders and grabs the motor up with a strap around the crank. Handy little $60 item I bought to do headers on 2V and 4V's to remove the k-member and to do motor mounts with.
Dosent sound like a bad tool to have.. You mind telling me where you bought yours? Thanx

--------------------
89’ Hatch. Completely stock.

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Well, I've PM'd some of the guys here for the side job but most want to charge me a shop price. [Frown] Anyone able to give me a "side job" quote for the motor mount install? I don't care if you have to jack up the engine, alot of the guys on corral.net and stangnet.com have jacked up the engine via the oil pans with no problems, I just don't have the tools to break the mounts loose. [Mad]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com