Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Alternator problem??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Alternator problem??
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does this sound like an alternator problem:

I get the dummy battery light whenever I rev the car (while in gear) past 3600rpm or so. I've checked the belt and it is pretty tight. The car starts up fine and drives fine with all the accessoies on. Could the alternator just be losing efficiency (probably wear) in that 3500rpm range??? [Confused]

[ June 15, 2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds kinda like a bad voltage regulater in the alternator...

The best thing to do is have the amps tested at your local parts store...

If you have a multimeter handy you can also do it...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the amps between 14.2-14.5 on my datalogger at idle. As soon as I head down the street and push it to day 3500rpm or so the datalogging shows the figure dropping rapidly below 10-11amps and then quickly shoots back up as soon as I get off the throttle.

[ June 15, 2004, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
actually that's Volts on the datalogger.

That's an odd behavior - usually you get better voltage at higher RPM. Luckily you have stock injectors - that amount of change in voltage is a pain to deal with when doing custom voltage offsets when dealing with larger injectors.

I'd take the car to have the alternator checked. Also how old is your battery?

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

The diehard gold battery is about 2 years old (still under warranty though). The alternator is about 4 years old. I was thinking it may be a slipping belt, but there is no sign of slippage (it seems tight and I don't see any major amounts of belt dust).

Yup..datalogger is volts [Big Grin]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com