Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP!!! Car is down on power suddenly WTF (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: HELP!!! Car is down on power suddenly WTF
SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well heres the deal, my car seems like it has a lost at least 50 percent of its power. When I punch it like right at a stop the car will not get up and go like it used to. like it struggles to get the power and the revs arent going up quick enough. and if you punch it sometimes you can hear like one or two clunks coming from the bottom of the car, what could this loss of power be , I cant lose to these Lambos (Joke) na really help me out. thanks

--------------------
R.I.P. 89 LX Sold the 90 Vert,
I bring the Amber Lamps!!!
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure you don't have a loose spark plug wire...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any bodies in the trunk? [Smile]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sf89lx:
well heres the deal, my car seems like it has a lost at least 50 percent of its power. When I punch it like right at a stop the car will not get up and go like it used to. like it struggles to get the power and the revs arent going up quick enough. and if you punch it sometimes you can hear like one or two clunks coming from the bottom of the car, what could this loss of power be , I cant lose to these Lambos (Joke) na really help me out. thanks

Check MAF, Air FIlter & plugs .. Did you do anything recently to it?

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
svt1165
¯
Member # 2722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt1165  Ford pictures for svt1165    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That happened to me...my stock H-pipe 4-cats with 123k miles got plugged up in my 89 GT 'vert. Replaced it with BBK 2-1/2" cat- x pipe got my power back and more.

[ June 10, 2004, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: svt1165 ]

--------------------
HK MP5K
HK G3/MSG90
HK P7M8
HK USPc 9mm
HK USPc 40 SW
HK USPc 45 ACP
HK/Benelli M1 S90
FN FAL
SIG Sauer P229

SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***
¯
Member # 2978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***  Ford pictures for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check harmonic balancer if it is off a little bit it will cause a power loss or sounds like it myt be trans or clutch

--------------------
MM PERFORMANCE
916-993-9581

Posts: 861 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cats.....
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did this happen suddenly or did the car gradually become slower? Like some of the other guys suggested, it may be "clogged" cats. Maybe install a no-cat H (or at least another H) and see if it makes any difference.

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chech your air inlet setup. Any crack or hole will seem like a miss. Also check for burnt wires or boots on the plug wires. Sometimes they burn at the bottom boot and you can't see it. Whats your fuel pressure?

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cats, are probably the problem. on my dads truck the same thing happend, and we changed the spark plugs, cleaned the connections, checked the carb, but then we finally thaught it was the exhaust, and it was, so when we ran strait headers, the car worked great.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when we removed the pipes we found a chunk of the converter stuck in the exhaust.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcm3man  Ford pictures for jcm3man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice job... solved it yourself.

Congrats! [Smile]

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com
Diablosport, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, etc.

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

thanks [patriot]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

SFvert
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well this happened literally all of a sudden about a week or two ago, the problem is if you gas the car feels clogged , like its either no getting enough fuel or spark to the engine. Its not the cats because it doesnt smell like rotten egg, and its not the tranny because I know its not, so basically I am going to change all the wires, plugs, new fuel filter, new coil, new cap and rotor, and then we'll see where we're at. It sucks though cuz I feel like Im driving a honda. sucks, oh and the other problem is the car like on start up also feels like uggggh uggggh and then finally starts up with this awful kkaaakaaaaa sound. I am thinking its either not enough spark or fuel, thanks for your guys hel p though

--------------------
[IMG]http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/53/Epicbeardmanwin.jpg[/IMG]

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd check to make sure the SPOUT connector is in. That behavior also sounds like not enough timing.
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rotten Egg is NOT the way to diagnose the Cats. Sometimes you don't even get the rattle. Seriously, the symptoms you are describing are EXACTLY what happens when one of the Pre-cats come apart and plug the Main cat downstream. It's only an hour or so to swap out the h-pipe, and most people put one on anyway. Just keep in mind when you have to smog it next.....
SFvert
Member # 3965

well did a complete tuneup, sparks, cap rotor, cleaned air filter, they plugs we found were shit and the the cap and rotor too! but the problem is not solved, so yes I now do believe its the cats that are bogging the car down, because it only does it on the low end of the rpm and not on the high end when you gas it. The problem now is it will be really hard for the car to start and remain at a constant idle. If I do get it started it will just bog down and shut off and it sputters to try and stay on. Solution put on an off road pipe on it, but then again I;m thinking of selling it also. Should I put the pipe on so it works fine but it wont pass smog, OR should I leave the car as is, and sell it while trying to pass a smog with the clogged cats.???

--------------------

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just get an off road h-pipe- put it on run around the block and if the problem is solved you know what it is. It will take you 30 mins to find the problem. good luck
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Clogged cats wont pass smog and it doesn't even sound like your car would make it to a smog check. If you're worried then buy an aftermarket x pipe with cats but get something besides what you currently have
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think any of these are the best options. As a seller, you are responsible for having the car smogged. Alot of buyers are also picky about this too. They would rather have you get the car smogged than purchase the car and risk that it is not going to pass. If I were in your shoes, I would probably look for an inexpensive stock (4 cat) H pipe on the board or go to a Pick A Part or junkyard and try to locate an H for your car. If you are going to keep it and it doesn't have to be smogged soon, stick with the no-cat H pipe. [patriot]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

SFvert
Member # 3965

see thats the issue I dont know if im going to keep it for a while, so 1. does anyone have a 4 cat h pipe that is not clogged for sale????, or 2. does anyone have the hookup on smog for not to much??

--------------------

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sf89lx:
Its not the cats because it doesnt smell like rotten egg

Where did you get that from?. If it's clogged you won't pass smog or you will be down on power.

What's your F.P? Talk to your local exhaust shops as some remove/weld in new cats for a fee, or cop a used one on the board. Hookups on smog are buku bucks because of the fines involved to the shop.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if the car runs fine at upper RPM's then you're cats are fine.

the cat clogged on my truck twice in the past 2 years so I have some experience with this ( [Frown] ) when it clogs, the car will have LESS power with the more throttle that you give it. I was only able to get my truck to 65mph if I touched the pedal with the lightest pressure possible, anymore and it would buck and lug and the check engine light would blink (misfire). If I floored it from a stop, it would not go over 30mph, wide open.

Also, the truck became earily quiet each time it clogged, I could not hear the engine at all.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SFvert
Member # 3965

made it to concord, but not back, haha. thank god for AAA!! smoke was coming from all four cats, and thats all she wrote. car is up for sale make offer

--------------------

SFvert
Member # 3965

ok, car is still for sale,!!! decided to just put another stock 4 cat h pipe on but.... it didnt help the problem for shit, no now this is getting frustrated. Checked timining on the car, timing is fine, SO what do u guys think it is?? Fuel Filter? Fuel Pump? Distributor? those are the only options left other than taking it to the Ford Dealership to get it diagnosed for hella $, Anybody Anybody please help!!!

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com