Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T5 Difference Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T5 Difference Question
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just pulled my tranny out of my 92 and compared it with one that I picked up from a friend. The one I removed has a sensor on the side with two prongs sticking out, the one I picked up has a hole for something to plug into the same sensor. A while ago I remember hearing there was a difference from something like 90-91 or something. Any feedback? Do I "NEED" the get the right one, or can I make this one work?

Thanks in advance [patriot]

Also, the one I picked up has a lot of slop in the shaft in front, the one I took out (that has a 3rd gear grind only) does not have that slop. Also, the one I took out turns smoothly, the new one is fairly difficult to turn.

???

[ June 02, 2004, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
The one I removed has a sensor on the side with two prongs sticking out, the one I picked up has a hole for something to plug into the same sensor.

I'm confused, what do you mean, " a hole for something to plug into?....The sensors just thread into the housing, are there any threads?...

BTW~The two prong sensor on the drivers side is for your reverse lights...Every year T5 changes slightly, so they all hae veriations...

The best thing to do is crack open the cases and physically look at the gears....

When you say slop in the front shaft, do you mean endplay or while turning it back and forth it has play?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did it work for ya? [Confused]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
eliminator
¯
Member # 4556

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eliminator  Ford pictures for eliminator    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it the speed sensor or reverse light switch? Either way the sensors should be interchangeable. If they're different just put your old one in the new trans.

I think the transmissions were interchangeable from '79 to 93. There were differences in gear ratios, synchros, bearings, and other details. 4-cylinder cars had a slightly different input shaft because the pilot bushing is different. 94-up had a longer input shaft and requires a different bellhousing.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com