Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Resurfacing Slotted Rotors

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Resurfacing Slotted Rotors
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wondering if it is possible to resurface slotted rotors. I thought I heard awhile back that it is not recommended. But I am not sure. Thought somebody here could give me an answer.

Thanks. [patriot]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not different than any other rotors. Are they powerslots?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ordered these a long time ago, so I can't really recall for sure. I think they are Hawk's slotted rotors. Didn't use them at the time because I used some FMS 5-lug conversion rotors, so they have been sitting in garage for about a year and a half.

Could you clue me in on Powerslots? Thanks [patriot] .

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1995 Impala SS

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know all the cross drilled and slotted rotors I've ever used are undersized from OEM specs. Meaning, once they're at the point where they need to be resurfaced, they're out of minimum spec, and need to be thrown away. I've never used Hawk rotors, so they might be serviceable. You should call the manufacturer and find out. Even though the people on these Mustang forums have an extensive knowledge base, I wouldn't RELY on minimum rotor thickness advice on aftermarket brake rotors I got from a forum. Just my opinion.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
hoppin50
¯
Member # 3338

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for hoppin50  Ford pictures for hoppin50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used to work at my buddys performance shop and i turned slotted rotors all the time with no problems at all.

--------------------
90 lx with 03 cobra suspension (IRS) on airbags tuckin 18's, 89 vert under construction, 04 pocketbike racing yellow lol

Posts: 33 | From: SACTOWN........."50Reasons" | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
turning rotors is not nessary in my opinion. I've replaced the front brake pads on my Cobra a few times with out turning the rotors and I've never had any problems.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
turning rotors is not nessary in my opinion. I've replaced the front brake pads on my Cobra a few times with out turning the rotors and I've never had any problems.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If there in spec. you dont need to turn them.
The acceptable runout of the rotors can be between .005-.008.(as per Wilwood brake company).

[ May 15, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: MR GO FAST ]

--------------------

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i change my pads i ALWAYS turn my rotors, alot of times if you dont, your steering wheel could vibrate when you hit the brakes, squeal, (which is very fucken annoying)vibrate on the freeway, and you could lose over-all braking performance. you need to turn the rotors to break the glaze which was cause by the old pads, so your new pads can 'mate' to the surface properly. PLUS.... it only costs like 20$ to turn rotors. [Roll Eyes] just do it right the first time.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
If there in spec. you dont need to turn them.
The acceptable runout of the rotors can be between .005-.008.(as per Wilwood brake company).

[BS flag]

It's just like stoauto said... [patriot]

Rotors can glaze and warp due to heat and still be within spec...You also get the best brake pad-to-rotor contact area with a properly resufaced rotor....

--------------------

jcm3man
¯
Member # 3834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcm3man  Ford pictures for jcm3man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can resurface rotors...if you're interested.

--------------------
WWW.ALTEREDSPEED.COM
(209)234-7890
john@alteredspeed.com
Diablosport, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, etc.

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Rotors can glaze and warp due to heat and still be within spec

well if they are warped then they wouldnt be in spec right [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

quote:
Originally posted by graylx:
Could you clue me in on Powerslots? Thanks [patriot] . [/QB]

I used to sell them. I got a free set from the owner of the company last year for my 92 coupe but now I will be putting them on my 86. I sent you some information your questions. I hope it helps.

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Rotors can glaze and warp due to heat and still be within spec

well if they are warped then they wouldnt be in spec right [Roll Eyes]
No, they can be warped and still measure within the allowed thickness/spec...

Bascially, if you buy new brake pads resurface your rotor...
[patriot]

--------------------

UNLUCKIER
¯
Member # 435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for UNLUCKIER  Ford pictures for UNLUCKIER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:

That is why you keep changeing them! [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 1023 | From: ODENTON MD | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:
when i change my pads i ALWAYS turn my rotors, alot of times if you dont, your steering wheel could vibrate when you hit the brakes, squeal, (which is very fucken annoying)vibrate on the freeway, and you could lose over-all braking performance. you need to turn the rotors to break the glaze which was cause by the old pads, so your new pads can 'mate' to the surface properly. PLUS.... it only costs like 20$ to turn rotors. [Roll Eyes] just do it right the first time.

Yeah, pretty much everytime I change my pads I have the rotors resurfaced at the local shop. Like you mention, I also find the vibration very annoying and resurfacing eliminates this. I thought I heard in the past that you could not resurface slotted rotors. I was just running this by you guys to see if this is a load of B.S. From the responses, I gather that I can resurface slotted rotors w/o any problem.

Thanks for resolving this question, guys. Thanks for the links MR. GO FAST. [patriot]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1995 Impala SS

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com