Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » brake caliper dimensions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: brake caliper dimensions
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi. Does anyone happen to know how thick the 01/02 and newer type front brake calipers are in comparison to the cobra type pbr caliper? im thinking of changing my front brake set up to accomadate my drag racing endeavors. My goal here is to find a decent stopping front brake setup that wont break the bank..and wont need spacers making my front wheels stick way out just to seat and miss the caliper. thanks
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
might not have been clear..im refering to the newer mustang GT front brake calipers.
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

i see everyone else is patiently awaiting the answer to this also [Razz]
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, are you using the 13" Cobra rotors and want to gain more clearance with the newer GT PBR caliper?... [Confused]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ya! actually a 12' right now and its the baer version but basically i want to try another front set up that has a caliper thats not as thick so i dont need to run a spacer to seat.
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

i want to run a set of skinnys at the drag strip and the most common 15x3 1/2 or 4" wont seat without running a 1" spacer for those of us who have the bigger front brakes(pbr calipers)
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm good question. Not sure what the rotor offset difference is between the GT and Cobra Rotors. You could always make a quick stop by the local parts store and have them pull one of each for you the measure the hat offset. I imagine they are both pretty close. You will need to consider what wheels you are going to be running as well. I might have a GT and Cobra at the shop tomorrow, if so I will measure the hats on each rotor to let ya know what wheel is going to be further out if there is a difference.
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wait is this an offset issue or a caliper clearance issue? If you need a spacer to push the wheel out it would appear this is an offset issue.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Hmm good question. Not sure what the rotor offset difference is between the GT and Cobra Rotors. You could always make a quick stop by the local parts store and have them pull one of each for you the measure the hat offset. I imagine they are both pretty close. You will need to consider what wheels you are going to be running as well. I might have a GT and Cobra at the shop tomorrow, if so I will measure the hats on each rotor to let ya know what wheel is going to be further out if there is a difference.

that would be much appriciated if you come across the two. i sappose i could go down to napa like you said but i always seem to have odd stuff im after and dont want to have them go hide everytime i show up [Big Grin]
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

LoL I know the feeling man. Are you running the fox modified spindles that come in the baer 12" kit or the sn-95 spindles? If you've got the fox spindles you'd have to upgrade to the sn-95 spindles to run either the GT or Cobra PBR's if you didn't already know that

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

i did the sn95 spindle set up but went with the 12" rotors on my kit and im running the rod and drag rear set up. this is by no means the optimum setup but it got me by. these duel purpose cars get goofy after awhile.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com