Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Motor swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Motor swap
saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleenmomo89  Ford pictures for saleenmomo89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does anyone know what the law is about swaping motors.
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Usually the motor going in the car must produce the same or better emissions as the motor originally ment for the car. What are you looking to do bud?

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and you have to use a motor from the same year or newer as the car being swapped into (easy to cheat for instance with 79-95 mustangs as the SBF looks identical)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
emmisions do not matter really, as long as the motor is from a newer vehichle

it is perfectly legal to put a 460 built motor from 90's or newer truck into a foxody, just because it is a newer motor, it will just have to pass smog inspection for the year and vehicle the motor cam from

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought the motor couldn't be bigger?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It reads out that the emmisions equipment needs to be up to date for whichever is newer-

I.E. if its an '87 with a '93 460, you need the '93 smog crap-

or '93 with a '87 motor, you need to adapt the '93 smog crap.

And you need to pass the newest year's smog standards.

You also need to get the B.A.R. to issue a sticker stating what the motor swap is smogged as, so the smog monkeys don't get aggitated!!

You can get the sticker at a Referee station.

Good luck with the government types- and pinch them every once in a while, because it's hard to tell the difference between when they're working and when they're dead!

[Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/geninfo/publications/Engine_Change_Guidelines-Jan_1994.htm

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleenmomo89  Ford pictures for saleenmomo89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was just thinking instead of rebuilding and adding to my stock block, i would buy a fordracing 5.0
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd look into Keith Craft for getting the shortblock. They'll build it anyway you like. So far with the best rep I've seen. You could order a long block from them and slapping it in would be very basic at that point

[ May 01, 2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com