Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4 cyl. springs for the rear 4 drag racing??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4 cyl. springs for the rear 4 drag racing??
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Which ones should i use?? It's for my 3200lb. PSCA Limited street car. Regular or variable?? From a coupe or hatch or vert?? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can't run my coil overs in the rear. Moroso told me their trick rear springs raise the ride height 4" [Eek!] above stock and I need special control arms!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As far as I know all 4cyl springs are the same...The verts might be a little stiffer if anything...

I'm also pretty sure that all the factory 4 cyl springs are linear rate and not progressive...

Do you have drag racing air bag in one side?....Do you have an aftermarket rear sway bar?....What tires are you gonna run and what is the rest of your combo (control arms, shocks, etc)

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DO NOT run a 4cyl spring in the rear...they are too soft. The softer the spring the more the car will squat and the more the car squats the less force will be applied to the tires.

You should either run a stock spring and cut it to the appropriate hieght if needed or run a pair of lowering springs. Also make sure to run springs that are of an equal rate in the rear(not morosso or Eibach) since they will not let the anti roll-bar work correctly and you'll definitely want to run the bar.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
DO NOT run a 4cyl spring in the rear...they are too soft. The softer the spring the more the car will squat and the more the car squats the less force will be applied to the tires.

That's exactly what I was thinking....All the hp will get absorbed by his soft springs...

4Cyl spings might work well with some 225 Kuhmo's and 500rwhp(exageration)..LOL

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had some luck with sagging stock V8 rear springs. Going to swap to somewhat newer (hopefully non-sagging) to see if there's any difference.

4-banger springs are probably beneficial up front, especially if you get 90/10 struts.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
28x11.5 et streets, steeda anti roll bar, steeda double adjustable uppers, southside lowers with a projected 570 plus to the wheels. I had coil overs in the rear before and the car launched great but the rules in limited street don't allow rear coil overs and I don't want to spend $350 for springs(drag) and spring perches for the front(as they are coil over too). Moroso did not tell me the trick springs wouldn't work with the anti roll bar as the tech guy even asked me if I was running one. I have a choice of stock springs, but the choices are endless>>>lx coupe 4 cyl; lx hatch 4 cyl; lx vert 4 cyl; and the gt and 5.0 varients, regular duty or variable rate. I'm stumped [Confused] [Frown]

--------------------

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by vpr_klr:
Moroso did not tell me the trick springs wouldn't work with the anti roll bar as the tech guy even asked me if I was running one.

me neither from Eibach. I even asked a couple of times if the drag launch rear springs would work with a sway bar such as HPM's since I have HPM everything else.

P.S. Dont meen to hijack a thread but where do you get the PSCA rule book???

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

pscaracing.com in their store [patriot]

--------------------

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your going to need a lot more than 570 to the wheels to compete with those dudes! Good luck though!

[ April 08, 2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: yellow67stang ]

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
would lakewood 70/30's in the front with moroso trick springs and 50/50's in the rear with rear trick springs be a good setup?

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yellow67stang:
your going to need a lot more than 570 to the wheels to compete with those dudes! Good luck though!

Thats what I was thinking since I want to make close to 500 and plan on going 11's and I thought that would be pretty slow for PSCA's

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah as far as I know the PSCA has basically 8 or so different classes for 400 some odd cubed power adder cars and the competitive ones are all at least in the 8's for every class, main differences between the cars last time I checked was tire size. lol.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

quote:
yellow67stang
_
Member # 903

posted April 08, 2004 10:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I know, but I just want to get out there and show my face. My buddy has 530 to the wheels and runs 10.40's in a similarly prepared car(3250 lbs.!) I know this motor might even grenade the first time in comp. or it might last the season, anyway, a 408 with a ys trim is being built for next season, but I just want to show those guys I'm down to race and I will be at every race with my slow car. You never know, people break stuff and redlight and so forth. Oh yeah, the record runs 9.30's with a small block and a auto! I'm going to be the only guy running a stick which will make it very interesting [Big Grin] [burnout] [patriot]

--------------------

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

quote:
white1990stang
_
Member # 2307

posted April 08, 2004 10:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
would lakewood 70/30's in the front with moroso trick springs and 50/50's in the rear with rear trick springs be a good setup?

run adjustable shocks and struts, for changing track conditions, the lakewoods are good if you drive the car on the street. The trick springs are good but listen to what Jeff S had to say on this post, because if you serious, you need to run a anti roll bar [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com