Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » speed density ?s

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: speed density ?s
89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats the pros and cons of speed density?Im thinking of buying an 87 mustang and was wondering about the speed density.I dont know much about it.Can anybody inform me about it,thanks in advance for the input.
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The main prob with speed density is that you cannot do many mods like cam, heads, etc. because the of the way that the computer reads the air intake. i would recomend getting a 88 and up but if that 87 is the choosen one one of the first upgrades i would do would be a mass air conversion. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

89TRUNK
¯
Member # 2506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89TRUNK  Ford pictures for 89TRUNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its actually an 87 coupe, i think its a CHP car because it has the trunk release by the steering wheel and has holes on the piller but no 160mph speedo.How hard is it to upgrade to an 88+ MAF
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it was a chp car im almost positve that they all came with the 160mph speedo and it usually only takes a few hours to do the conversion. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd upgrade the mass air last. SD coupes are the fastest of all the years.

KC was running 13.1's next to stock in his 87 coupe before it got ganked! [burnout]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have any questions about coverting the SD car to MAF, PM me. I did it in mycar a while back.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
stangman
¯
Member # 562

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangman  Ford pictures for stangman    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can do all the little bolt ons with spped density. comp cams also makes a spped density friendly cam for your car. after that, your pretty much done. but your car would be pretty damn quick [patriot]
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
I'd upgrade the mass air last. SD coupes are the fastest of all the years.

KC was running 13.1's next to stock in his 87 coupe before it got ganked! [burnout]

I can second that, I bought KC's car and transferred the guts into a 4 banger coupe, it pulls HARD!

if anyone didn't see pics of gumby after the wreck, click on the link in my sig.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i saw an 87 speed density GT with shorty headers, cats, cold air kit, and 100k miles put down 228 rwhp/285 torque on saturday.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess it all depends on what you plan on doing to the car in the long run. If you plan on doing a heads, cam, and intake combo then I'd at least buy the mass air conversion parts first. I made the mistake of doing the heads, cam, and intake and then waiting to convert to mass air. With the H/C/I and speed density, the car idled like shit. It ran just decent under throttle, but it ran like shit when it was cold. Now with the MAF, it doesn't spew smoke at idle, it idles at 800rpm consistently (instead if idling at 1200 and jumping up as far as 2100). Basically, just think about what you're planning on doing to the car and go from there.

[ April 06, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: The Nick ]

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im on my 2nd S.D car and i love it. you can mod them ok. mass air would be nice. but some good bolt ons and goods. there bad ass

if the car is what you like and it works how it should buy it. dont let the fact it S.D hold you back.

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com