Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 69 351 block question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 69 351 block question
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have always heard that the 69 351W block was one of the best ones to use. I was talking to an engine builder yesterday, and he said that it's not as good because the deck is thinner than a later block, and pistons for it would have to be machined. Is that true? Would any intake fit, or would it have to be machined?

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The early 351's have a shorter deck height, 9.2 versus 9.5 for the later ones.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my '69 351w block has a 9.48 deck. I think the Cleveland blocks (??) have the 9.2. I'm probably wrong, lol.

anyways the reverse is true of what thay guy said. The weakness started around '74 or so and the worst the 351w ever got was in the '94-'96 E4TE hydraulic roller years.

whereas a '69 351w block (just like the motorsports A351w block) can handle around 750 HP, the 94-96 hydraulic roller is at best 650.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my old 351 block had a 9.48

--------------------
I like cars.

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
John B is mistaken. the deck heigth difference is .020 9.500 to 9.480

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So pistons and the intake shouldn't be a big problem?

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
whereas a '69 351w block (just like the motorsports A351w block) can handle around 750 HP, the 94-96 hydraulic roller is at best 650.

i think u mean f4te, and the 94 lightning block is good for 600+rwhp if the balance job isnt to bad

a properly built f4te lightning block has made 753rwhp with a t76gts trim for about 2 years, as a street/strip car, well documented on turbomustangs.com, forget the guys name

many guys on that site with 600+rwhp wth factory roller blocks from the mid 90's

but yes the 69-70 block is a little stronger

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I 'personally' dont think your gonna gain any significant strength in any of these yr., blocks in contrast of what you might spend in machine work. I would rather a properly machined 78 granada... wagon.. block, than a 69 block machined with armpit farts. Keep in mind, opinions are like...
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I stand corrected...deck height is 9.48 for 69-74's,75 and later is 9.503. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:

a properly built f4te lightning block has made 753rwhp with a t76gts trim for about 2 years, as a street/strip car, well documented on turbomustangs.com, forget the guys name

that's great and all but I'm just using Ford's published numbers on the A351 block and conservative estimates. Sure there are stock hyd-roller 302 blocks making over 700 rwhp but that doesn't mean that the estimate of 500 rwhp is incorrect for it's capacity for an extended period. Didn't John91coupe make well over 600rwhp on his stock 302 setup before it expired?

anyways, I think using Ford's published #'s on the A351 or B302 blocks are a fair standard to apply when talking about production blocks and their differences.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

I definitely won't be pushing the limits of the block. It will be a mild, 10.5-1 408 as that's the rotating assembly that I already have.
I just want to make sure that I won't run into any assembly problems.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com