Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » uh oh actually a chevy question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: uh oh actually a chevy question
Shok
¯
Member # 3174

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shok  Ford pictures for Shok    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm trying to help my neighbor out with his 73 Nova, he's had it since new and it was recently converted to an automatic tranny when its 4seed manual bit the dust. It seems to be leaking fluid out of the speedo cable on the tranny end, right where the sheathing meets the crimped metal so he's gonna put a new cable. The local chain parts place does not sell speedo gears and a new one is needed as the current one does not seem to match the th350 and makes the speedo read too fast, anyone know a place around Salinas that would carry the gears? Anyone know if all 73 manual tranny novas had the same gear ratio to make ordering the gear easier or will i have to go under and find the gear ratio? No way will my neighbor know what to look for.
thanks for any info.

Posts: 135 | From: salinas, california | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry, I dont know anyone in Salinas...But, I would check the rear axle/gear ratio anyway...I'm sure there was more than one gear ratio for '73 Nova's....

Good luck.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check out the vin number and then run the vin throw a chevy nova vin number decoder there are tones for mustangs i am sure the same for novas just see what it came with it will be on the vin usally on the drivers door. sense he has had sense he has bought it.
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would try the junkyards, look for a car with the same drivetrain(ie:tranny,rear-end size/ratio) and grab that speedo gear) theres a place in san jose on coleman road(next too the airport-880-side) next too Acker Wheel they do speedometer recalibrations etc. allot to do with it being too is different wheel/tire combo's that are not stock the messes things up as well.good luck! [patriot]

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com