Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » boost, air/fuel gauge install questions?!?!?!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: boost, air/fuel gauge install questions?!?!?!
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have to install my electric Fuel pressure gage, boost gauge, and air/fuel ratio gauge in my 98 cobra.

Looking for any tips, trick, do's and donts you all may have.

Also, on the air/fuel gauge, which pin will I need to tap into off the computer...I DO NOT WANT TO RUN IT TO THE o2 SENSOR ITSELF!!!

Also, where would you run the line for the boost gauge?

I've always been big on performance parts, butI'm new to gauge installs (go ahead and laugh)....and I need help!!!

Thanks so much in advance!

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah i Too have a 98 cobra and i have a elec fuel gauge and boost gauge and i need the same tips. Sorry bro i dont mean to cut in on your post [patriot]

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The boost gauge is pretty straight forward, any vacuum source will work, mine is off the intake, the fuel press. is pretty simple too, I hooked it up onto the fuel rail schrader. The air/fuel gauge is a waste of money IMO, unless its running off a wide band.
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Autometer told me to tap the air fuel gauge into the dark blue wire with the green stripe [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5LVENOM:
The air/fuel gauge is a waste of money IMO,

[patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The air/fuel gauge is a waste of money IMO, unless its running off a wide band.

I actually agree with that statement, but two reasons I have it...the first one is pretty stupid, but I love the way they look for some reason [Embarrassed] (go ahead and flame...lol)...and the second, well...for the price that I got it for, it wasn't exactly a waste of "anything" [Wink]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by -SVT- Parker:
Yeah i Too have a 98 cobra and i have a elec fuel gauge and boost gauge and i need the same tips. Sorry bro i dont mean to cut in on your post [patriot]

Ask Cole to instal it for you if he can....usually its cheap or even free. [Wink]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
quote:

I actually agree with that statement, but two reasons I have it...the first one is pretty stupid, but I love the way they look for some reason [Embarrassed] (go ahead and flame...lol)...and the second, well...for the price that I got it for, it wasn't exactly a waste of "anything" [Wink]
Trust me...its always good to have a Air/fuel gauge...u never know when something might give out..its better to be safe then sorry.

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Coyoteswapfox92
¯
Member # 4057

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyoteswapfox92  Ford pictures for Coyoteswapfox92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's KING Cobra:
quote:
Originally posted by -SVT- Parker:

Ask Cole to instal it for you if he can....usually its cheap or even free. [Wink]
Yeah thats smart i'll just take it over there. thanks J. Hey when we get are cars out we should meet up somtime. [burnout]

--------------------
1992 Coyote project under construction.

Posts: 1051 | From: Yuba City, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by J's KING Cobra:
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
quote:

Trust me...its always good to have a Air/fuel gauge...u never know when something might give out..its better to be safe then sorry.
no ofense but have u ever run a autometer "a/f gauge"

remember that it runs off of the stock O2, which doesnt read belwo about 14:1

we i had my old car dynoed, the stupid af gauge told me i was at stoich, which is about 14.0-15.0
and the a/f on the wideband was at 12.5, not even close
and a/f gauge like that one is just a light show, it wont tell u anything

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the T-rex for you Jack when you get a chance come get it.
tahoe 5.0
¯
Member # 4103

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for tahoe 5.0  Ford pictures for tahoe 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on the boost try to tee off of a vacume block. fuel rail 4 pressure. My opinion of air fuel mix guages, they suck. can't trust them.

--------------------
profesional lubrication technition

Posts: 97 | From: Woodfords Ca. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Narrow band O2's voltage is from 0-1volt & it is not a linear curve. They are highly inaccurate & that is why these fuel injected computers do not shoot for one specific voltage. They alternate between a voltage range. That way they hit somwhere near 14.7 on average.

Wideband O2's voltage range is 5 times that of a narrow band & it does have a linear curve. Therefore it's is MUCH more accurate when translating voltage to A/F ratio.

The only thing those A/F guages are good for is looks. Hell, I've even seen digital guages that read the exact milivolts of an O2 sensor. They're just something to look at I guess.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com