Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » '98 AOD Tranny Drivability Question (HELP!)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: '98 AOD Tranny Drivability Question (HELP!)
Rusty
¯
Member # 3984

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rusty  Ford pictures for Rusty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi All,

I've owned my '98 GT for about a year.

I set the Overdrive to "OFF". When driving at a steady 45MPH and I go to accelerate moderately...I get an odd "stumble" /"hesitation"/"blip" (sorry but it's just hard to describe.

The transmission seems to operate fine..upshifts strong and reasonably smooth...but then there's that "blip" when OD is OFF.

Also, at freeway speeds, just about any increase in throttle will seemingly result in either the torque converter going out of "lockup" or some other "event" occurs that I find annoying.

Does all this make any sense? I guess I need to get someone at a good tranny shop to go for a ride with me so I can let him/her "feel" what I am talking about.

It all might be normal for the car...but I'm not so sure.

The transmission is essentially a four speed automatic; right? (three plus OD...) and then there is also the torque converter that locks up.

So, all told then...you get a 1-2 shift, followed by a 2-3 shift...followed by a shift into Overdrive (assuming it's not turned off..) and then you get the feel of the torque copnverter locking up...sort of the feel of yet another shift...and a corresponding drop in RPM.

Are these shifts adjustable in any way? Can the transmission be sdjusted so as not to release the TC lockup so easily? Can the transmission be adjusted to as not to downshift out of overdrive so easily?

It seems that with such ample torque it should not be necessary for all this "shifting" and engaging-dis-engaging be going on just to drive down the boulevard and accelerate just a little bit.

I'm hoping that someone knowegedable will read this and turn me on to some resources.

Thanks for reading, Rusty

BTW...does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Santa Barbara area?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com