Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » backspacing question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: backspacing question
saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleenmomo89  Ford pictures for saleenmomo89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
has anyone ever tried to machine down the hub/rotor on a fox body mustang in order to tuck the wheels under the fender? just a crazy idea??
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That would be a "crazy idea".... [Big Grin]

If you want to tuck your wheels buy wheels that have the correct offset you're looking for.....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleenmomo89  Ford pictures for saleenmomo89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well suposidly i did, i bought cobra r 4 bolt with 12mm backspacing, this is suposed to be the backspacing that fits, but the wheels hang out like .5 inch.
i cant figure out why, so im resorting to trying things.

9lbpony
¯
Member # 3510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9lbpony  Ford pictures for 9lbpony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If they are the AFS wheels the issue is that the offset is the same front and rear. On a Fox body you want a different offset front and rear. The AFS ones are "optimal" for a SN95. As you've noticed, on a Fox they will stick out in front. You'd think they'd make the 4-lug version specifically for the Fox since there are no 4-lug SN95s but it was probably cheaper to leave everything the same save the drilling for the bolt pattern.

You can always pretend you are in a Grand Am and tell yourself that wider is better. [Smile]

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what if you machine the rotor and the wheel a 1/4 of an inch? just a thought, sounds pretty crazy too [Razz]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

they are AFS,
and the offset is the same between the two,
how stupid of them to not make the correct offset,
i think the idea about 1/4 on each sounds good to.
screw AFS WHEELS

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com