Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Can bad timing cause two cylinders to not function?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Can bad timing cause two cylinders to not function?
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's the deal:

My motor runs, but very rough and very hard to start. The two coil packs are sparking all wires. All wires are sparking the plugs. Plugs are good. The fuel injector is getting it's pulse signal. I have yet to actually pull the two injectors and replace them.

The problem is that I can remove every wire from the coil packs (individually) and all will change the smoothness of the idle except 1 and 5. So that tells me those cylinders are not doing their part! [Razz]

Can anyone give me an idea on what the problem could be? I plan on taking off the fuel rail and changing those two injectors out... but I don't think they could have just went bad like that.

By the way.. this all started after putting in an ecam and roller rockers. Thanks!

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope youre talking about a 96' Explorer, because in that year that was the only vehicle equipped with a 5.0. If I were you I'd get it professionally diagnosed. Or atleast hook up a Noid light to each of the injector harness connectors. You probably also wanna check your rocker arm clearances on those cylinders.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you tighten those rockers too tight? thenm you would have none if very little comp. in those cylinders.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are the valves closing on those cylinders?
are they opening?
check compression on those two...
that should give you more clues.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well unless you have a timing adjuster, timing won't change on your motor. I would pull codes to see what's going on. This doesn't sound like something the average guy would be able to fix [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Isnt this a 5.0L [Confused] whats with the no timing adjustement [Confused] what year of 5.0l engine did u do the swap with?was the cam used or new that u put in?like already aid did u tighten the Rocker arms too tight?did u check the clearances?

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Figured it out!

Cylinder #5 had 40 lbs per inch compression while every other cylinder (even #1) had around 150 lbs. So I tore the intake off to get the valve cover off so I could see what was going on. Just for kicks I took the rockers off that cylinder, checked and retorqued them. I built the intake back up with the valve cover off (again). It ran perfect. Back to 150# in cylinder #5. So I tore it down again to the lower intake. As I was putting the valve cover back on I paid close attention the the clearance this time. Basically, this time, the closest rocker to the front was at it's highest point in the stoke.. and made the valve cover hole not line up on that side. So we cranked the motor by hand until the holes lined up.. then holding the cover.. I cranked the motor while my buddy watched/felt the valve cover. Sure enough it hit. So I pulled it back off and it was actually hitting on the wall over the cover and not on the top. I never thought that would have happened.

So I double gasketed that side. Still hits. So I guess I'll have to pick up some taller (wider, I guess) covers tomorrow. As anyone heard of this problem? These are GT-40P heads and FMS Roller Rockers. Although the valve covers are stock.. it seems like they should have been wide enough for a different rocker.

Should I just get some taller FMS coves?

This is a '96 Explorer 5.0. DIS system. Thanks for all the help! I'm glad I was able to kick this things ass myself! [patriot]

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats what i thought had happen just a little too much tourqe will leave the valve open.glad u found it.if u have a grinder u can take the valve cover off and grind some of the inside of it off where its hitting at.
edit:be very care full u dont grind too much as u could go through.

[ January 08, 2004, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Blue Oval ]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Yeah, I don't have a dremel (yet) and my wheel grinder is too big to get in there. [Big Grin] Maybe I'll try that first before I invest in new covers. It just seems like it would be a lot I'd need to grind off in order for it to work. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would try grinding it first. try a drill with a sanding bit on it. if that doesnt work, get some foxbody 5.0 valve covers

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

DONE! Finished it 100%! That valve cover was no match for my air hammer!

It's all back together and road ready.

Here's a little vid [Big Grin] http://www.section525.com/xpage/ecam3.wmv

My Specs:
K&N Intake
Explorer Upper
GT40 Lower
GT40-P Heads
E-303 Cam
1.6 Roller Rockers
FMS Headers
Apten Chip
Stock Exhaust [Razz]

Again, thanks for all the help guys!

[ January 09, 2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: section525 ]

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i love sleepers like that! [Big Grin]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com