Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Cylinder 1 & 5 not injecting after e-cam install

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Cylinder 1 & 5 not injecting after e-cam install
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed an e-cam, FMS 1.6 Roller Rockers (ped mount), and valve springs, on my 5.0.

After starting the motor there is a very noticable tapping on the drivers side valve cover. You can actually feel the vibrating when you put your finger on the cover. The passenger side sounds/feels fine. I pulled the valve covers off and verified that the rockers were not hitting the covers. So what else could it be?

All the rockers were torqued to 17lbs. I used the stock lifters and pushrods, and the motor only has about 9k miles on it.

Tomorrow I plan to re-torque everything and check the pushrods. Any ideas??

[ January 06, 2004, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: section525 ]

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you got a 96' 5.0? [Confused]

::shrug:: did you adjust the valves?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what procedure did you use to adjust/shim the pedestal rockers?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also what valve covers are you using?
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for section525  Ford pictures for section525  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I found TDC for each cylinder (in firing order) and finger tightened it to 0 lash than set it to 17 ft lbs (about 3/4 of a turn). After tearing the motor back down to the heads, checking the torque again, and reassembling (with the valve covers off so I could see which one was the problem) it started right up and ran/idled perfect). So it must have just needed to run longer. So once I tore it back down to put the valve covers back on, and reassembled, now I have a vaccuum leak (or its missing)! ^%#&@$$#@ [Mad] The idle just sounds really bad, not like it did, and it takes a few cranks to restart the motor and once its started it barely idles.

So I'm tearing it back down tomorrow. [Frown]

Any advice? Yes, I have a '96 5.0. [patriot]

--------------------
1996 5.0L K&N Intake, E-303 Cam, 1.6 Roller Rockers, TM Headers, Magnaflow, on 35s!

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think your eec v really hates the e cam.
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

I thought that at first.. but I know of three or four other guys already running the ecam in their eecvs.

But when I started it up without the valve covers on it ran like stock. So I know its possible to get it running right. It was smoooth as butter. So I'm pretty confident its a vaccuum leak or its missing.

I have stock exhaust on it right now and it still sounds bad ass. [Big Grin]

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if I had to guess your vacuum leak is on your lower intake seal, did you let the RTV 'set' for a good 10 minutes before you *carefully* guided the lower intake down hopefully over studs or whatnot?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
if I had to guess your vacuum leak is on your lower intake seal, did you let the RTV 'set' for a good 10 minutes before you *carefully* guided the lower intake down hopefully over studs or whatnot?

Yeah, it's gotta be something on the upper. Cause once the lower was on, I never had it back off. When I tore down to take the valve covers off, I only took off the upper. So I'm hoping its something behind the upper that I am missing.

When I take the upper off tomorrow I'm just going to really check and make sure I see everything that needs to be hooked back up. So far I'm 1-3. [Frown]

I'll get a vid right now and show you what it's doing.. [Cool]

--------------------

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

http://www.section525.com/xpage/ecam2.wmv

--------------------

section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

Okay, it's not vaccuum.

Cylinder #1 and #5 are not injecting fuel I believe. When I take each of the plug wires off the coil packs individually, those two are the only ones that didnt affect engine idle while off. The coil pack was igniting those two wires and the spark plugs. I changed both wires and spark plugs to make sure it wasn't those. It wasns't. So I'm getting a noid light in the morning to confirm its those two injectors or injector wires. I'm thinking they share the same ground or something and that is the problem.

Anyone know anything more?

--------------------

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

You didn't possibly cross any plug wires by accident did you?
section525
Sponsored by Corona®
Member # 2819

[Eek!]
To be honest, my buddy hooked the wires up. Let me go check!

EDIT: Nope, wasn't it. I reversed those two and it still started up the same. Plus, I haven't removed the wires since we first got everything back together.. and it did run perfect after that. I'm getting a noid light in the morning and I'll test the actual injector harness.

[ January 06, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: section525 ]

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why not have the EEC do a cylinder balance test?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com