Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tremec Transmissions selection?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tremec Transmissions selection?
CustomFastbackCA
¯
Member # 1369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CustomFastbackCA  Ford pictures for CustomFastbackCA  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys,

It's about that time to get a tranny for my 67' Fastback. My car's got 408w stroker, victor jr. ported heads and intake, forged internals with 10:1 compression. Probably putting 525-550 BHP, plus I plan on running a 100-150 shot of Nitrous. I was looking to get the T-56 (1386-000-012
) which is good up to 450hp/610ft/lbs trq. Do you think this will handle this much power without running slicks? Or would I need to go with the TKO or TKO II?

--------------------
www.CustomFastbackCA.com

1995 Dinan M3 Avus Blue Metallic
1967 GT Mustang Fastback (Eleanor)

Ask questions if you have'em, anyone who thinks they're too cool, know's it all, or doesn't want to look stupid has more problems than you.

Posts: 346 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'd say get the TKO. the T56 won't hold up to your power without an expensive strengthing. i have had a TKO in both my coupe and droptop and i've been very happy. imho the TKO is the best way. [patriot]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I'm not mistaken the Viper-spec T-56 is stronger than the TKO (doesn't Treynor's 850 rwhp Viper use one?)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it does, i don't think it's box-stock. he has probably gone through it and built up the internals for 850+ .

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you get the Viper-spec tranny and shift like a normal human, you shouldn't have a problem. It's when you start abusing it that the tranny breaks. I'm sure it's something Dodge and Tremec engineers looked at before deciding to put a T-56 behind the new triple 500 V-10.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're not running sicks so the regular TKO will be fine. Shoot, even a 3550 can last for ages if you don't drive it much and don't use sticky tires.
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
X2C Motorsports v1.0 = 850 lbs of torque [worship]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CustomFastbackCA:
Hey guys,

It's about that time to get a tranny for my 67' Fastback. My car's got 408w stroker, victor jr. ported heads and intake, forged internals with 10:1 compression. Probably putting 525-550 BHP, plus I plan on running a 100-150 shot of Nitrous. I was looking to get the T-56 (1386-000-012
) which is good up to 450hp/610ft/lbs trq. Do you think this will handle this much power without running slicks? Or would I need to go with the TKO or TKO II?

Im running basically this exact same setup. I have just a few less cubes, a tad more compression, same heads and intake, and a demon. Even with what I considered my cam to be...HUGE, I honestly didnt think Id be making that much power. Thats definitely enlightening.

Im running a toploader and a centerforce clutch.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com