Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » fuel cells

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: fuel cells
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i cant decide if i want the aluminum cell or the black plastic one

they are both the same capacity (16gal) made by summit

the aluminum one looks a lot better and would fit better in my trunk

but i am worried about the mounting tabs causing weak points when i launch the car hard at the track, as in pulling the wheels, I have a cage and sfc, but i dont need to crack the tank

this is a street driven car, just not very often

anyone have an aluminum cell with horror stories

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the aluminum cells are not meant to be mounted without prober support. they are designed to lay flat on sheetmetal.

the plastic cells are designed to be mounted so that you can hang them. keep that in mind eric.

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not trying to offend but I doubt you will have enough power to rip aluminum apart from launching. I have never seen a tank sheer from a launch.

Get whatever you want and make sure and support it properly to avoid a gas tank(bomb) flopping around if you ever did wreck

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by yellow67stang:
Not trying to offend but I doubt you will have enough power to rip aluminum apart from launching. I have never seen a tank sheer from a launch.

Get whatever you want and make sure and support it properly to avoid a gas tank(bomb) flopping around if you ever did wreck

Eric

no offense taken, i just dont know how an aluminum cell will hold up to decently hard launches and 2k a year street miles, its just the everyday wear and tear i am worri4ed about

i am going with a plastic cell, and am goin to drop the floor a little for it

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com