Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Machine Shop Recommendations

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Machine Shop Recommendations
289fia_cobra
¯
Member # 3813

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 289fia_cobra  Ford pictures for 289fia_cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello all, I will be pulling my engine out next week (Merry Xmas!) so the next thing on my mind is, where to take the bare block to for the machine work. I've already gotten an initial quote from Gromm Racing and it's hella expensive (must be because we live in the Bay Area!). Full machining, boring, aligning, etc. : $1,700+!!! And we haven't even begun buying the internals yet!

Assuming a magnaflux shows no problems in the block, I'm looking to have it bored 30 over with the intent on a 331 stroker going in. Realistically, I'm only aiming for no more than 400HP given the pieces I've already selected to date: Edlebrock RPM intake w/2.02 in. valve, Edelbrock Performer Intake #7121, Edelbrock 600cfm carb. Compcam 1.6 ratio roller rockers came with the cylinder head. As you can see, it's mostly a high performance street setup.

After a lot of thought on how this would be rebuilt, I'm contemplating on rebuilding it from there. The only thing extra I'd want the shop to do is install new cam bearings.

I realize that sometimes you get what you pay for, but need to find out from some of you what you paid and AFTER running the motor, do you think it was worth it or it was a FANATASTIC DEAL, or "I'd stay away from..."

TIA.

[ December 18, 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: 289fia_cobra ]

Posts: 66 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I took my motor to APM in morgan hill. The bored my motor put new pistons, moly rings and all the shit, replaced my scratched crank all for $1,200. Take your motor there. Oh yeah I had my motor back in like 2 days. Just call 411. it's APM in morgan hill
289fia_cobra
¯
Member # 3813

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 289fia_cobra  Ford pictures for 289fia_cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NorCalRydaz: that's APM Custom Motors? Found the # on Google.

So what internals did you put it there?

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bayshore Racing Engines in San Francisco.

Call and Talk to Dave.
301 Barneveld Ave
San Francisco, CA 94124-1319
Phone: (415) 647-9575.

Theyve done many of the FASTER motors in this area.
Way better than Reggie Jacksons.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got a bunch of crap done on my 351 at Elby's Machine in Pleasanton. These guys are great, but a little slow (They've got too much work). I got the block hot tanked, magnafluxed, bored .060 over, new cam bearings, oil plugs and freeze plugs installed. The crank was magnafluxed, and ground .030 under on both the rod and main journals (They sent the crank to Ashland grinding in Hayward). Had them install ARP rod bolts in the rods and resize the big ends, and assemble the rods and pistons. They also measured everything before doing any machine work to make sure botht he block and crank were good before spending any money. Total was $800.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
289fia_cobra
¯
Member # 3813

wilit: now THAT's more of what I was thinking. Quality work at a good price. I think the "slow" part is actually FINE by me because my kit won't come until 2005! LOL. I think the volume is what helps keep the cost down.

You didn't mention and I don't want to ASSUME so I'll ask: did they use a torque plate during the boring and is the block square-decked and aligned (to crank)? Or would that of been extra?

Also, if I decided to buy a 331 "kit", would they be ok in properly installing it after the machining (short block)? TIA.

Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want something done right, but it will take a little time, give Crackaway Machine Shop in Elk Grove a call. This guy has been in the business for like 40 years. He has pictures of over 1000 engines in his office and 5 shoeboxes full of pics of motors that he's built. He has pics of a 4.6 DOHC that Jack Roush had him build to explore the possibilities of Mod Motors, to see what their potential was back in the early 90's. Anyways, he can built whatever you want, from a 585 h.p. streetable 289, to the dyno'd 535 horsepower 383 he built for my friend, if you fork over the $$$ he can build it. If anyone that is reading this has some spare time, stop by his shop and talk to him. He will tell you EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about anything Ford has ever put out.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 289fia_cobra:
wilit: now THAT's more of what I was thinking. Quality work at a good price. I think the "slow" part is actually FINE by me because my kit won't come until 2005! LOL. I think the volume is what helps keep the cost down.

You didn't mention and I don't want to ASSUME so I'll ask: did they use a torque plate during the boring and is the block square-decked and aligned (to crank)? Or would that of been extra?

Also, if I decided to buy a 331 "kit", would they be ok in properly installing it after the machining (short block)? TIA.

Hmmm... Good question. I saw torque plates laying around, but I never asked. Looking at the receipt I have, there is a spot for bore/hone w/plates, so it probably is more. It wasn't a big concern to me since the engine is going into a Bronco which more than likely will never see more than 4.5k rpms. Here's a rundown of what everything cost.

Bore & Hone $185
Provide & Install cam bearings $64
Magnaflux $70
Hot tank & prep w/brass freeze plugs & new oil plugs $68
Resize Big ends $130
Pin Fit $90
Grind Crank $80
Magnaflux Crank $50
Total was $737

There is a $50 charge to mic everything before they start to make sure everything is good, but it's waived if you get the machine work done.

Talk to Chris, he's the owner's son. 925-829-3853

Oh, and yes, they're more than compentant to assemble a motor. I just didn't have it done because I had already spent too much money. They do great head porting too, but they're really pricey on that. They wanted $600 to just do a normal refresh. I found another place that gasket matched the exhaust ports on my E7 heads and did the refresh for $389 (he got it done in 4 days too).

[ December 18, 2003, 10:39 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen1:
Bayshore Racing Engines in San Francisco.

Call and Talk to Dave.
301 Barneveld Ave
San Francisco, CA 94124-1319
Phone: (415) 647-9575.

Theyve done many of the FASTER motors in this area.
Way better than Reggie Jacksons.

my brother works there great engine builders [worship]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

Bounty Hunter
¯
Member # 1422

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bounty Hunter  Ford pictures for Bounty Hunter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call Daves Engine Machining. They have my turbo motor right now, they are very knowledgeable and are fair priced. They also have a flow bench and dyno. Give them a call. 510-797-9536 in Newark!
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol

--------------------
I like cars.

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy yellowGT shortblock save some cash and it is already done

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

289fia_cobra
¯
Member # 3813

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I had to turn down the killer priced engine. Unfortunately, the wife pays for everything in the house and she had to remind me of the huge Christmas bill, followed by the equally huge property tax bill, and potential income tax payment, all coming up in like 30 days of each other! Likely, one of the other potential buyers will scoop it up!

So it will not be anytime in the near future, that the block will see the machinist but it gives me a lot of time to talk to each and see what kinds of machines they're using to cut the cylinders. If it turns out say 5 of these guy's are REALLY good at what they do, then it comes down to who I feel most comfortable with.

Thanks again and thank in advance if more recommendations come in.

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've also used Bayshore Engine Rebuilders before. Their prices are not horrible and they get the work done fast. Just know what you want done before you go in there because they will try to talk you into everything.lol

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bayshore motors last and run hard as fuck [worship]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com