Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GEARS !!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: GEARS !!!!
98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98snaketool  Ford pictures for 98snaketool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am looking to put in some 4.10s in. Does anyone have any reccomendations as to which brand i should go for. Ford Motorsport?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FMS
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FMS, that way your rear end won't whine like a blower [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn.. Why do u want 4:10 gears? Get 3:73's. I have 4:10's and trust me they suck on the freeway. I'm going to 3:55 that's how much I hate the 4:10's. The gears put hella stress on your motor, plus if your car has any kind of horsepower u don't need 4:10's get 3:73(unless u have an automatic). Just my opinion
cobra status
¯
Member # 571

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra status  Ford pictures for cobra status    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 4.6 dohc motor is a high reving engine without alot of low in torque. Thats why we go with a lower ratio. 4.10's are supposed to be the perfect street gear for us. get the frpp gears and have fun.

--------------------
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra Coupe

98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 98snaketool  Ford pictures for 98snaketool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 98 black cobra coupe so its 5 speed. It has only 30,000 miles on it and basically has an exhaust, filter, x-pipe but nothing crazy. I have heard mixed reviews. Some say the 4.10s are awesome others say "not really". A couple have told me that the 3.73's are not that great and go 4.10's. I have also heard from 9cobra8 that his 4.10s didn't affect his gas mileage that significantly and he swears by them .Little confused. [Confused]
98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98snaketool  Ford pictures for 98snaketool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NORCALRYDAZ what kind of car do you have. GT? Cobra? Maybis it possible that naybe the 4.10s are better for the cobra than the GT?
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah your probably right about the 4.6. Cause I have an 89 GT 306 and they suck ass on my stang. I just sit there lighting them up, 1st 2nd and into thrid. Probably on the 4.6's it's kool. Thought u had a 50. sorry
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your thinking of getting 3.55's go 3.73's if your thinking of going 3.73's go 4.10's and so on. [patriot]
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
most Cobra owners of late have been choosing 4.30's, perhaps you might want to look into those [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On a high revvin' 4.6 DOHC you are better off with 4.30's. It's just like the traditional 5.0 dilemma of 3.55's or 3.73's: You would notice a difference with the 3.55's but you'll be much happier with the 3.73's. Be a man and go with the 4.30's. You won't regret it. [dance]

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

mostang
¯
Member # 3352

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mostang  Ford pictures for mostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I always thought with the 4.6 if you have a 6spd go 4.10-4.30 but with a 5spd like mine go with 3.55-3.73. I went with 3.73 and now go through 1st gear in about a 1.5 seconds because it's geares so low. Good launches but I can almost start off in 2nd. It did bump my RPM's up about 400, but I still get 20+ mpg.
[burnout]
[burnout]

--------------------
99 GT ragtop, Flows, True Flow drop in and 3.73's
1985 Caprice Classic Very Tired 305

Posts: 182 | From: Castro Valley, originally Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it's street driven I wouldn't get anything but 4.10's, if you go anything higher (4.30's) you'll defnatley have no first gear at all. Besides I think with 4.10's in my buddys 98 cobra it was at 3k at 80 mph.

--------------------
Support our troops!

xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 3.73's on my Fox body and when going to Phoenix or Vegas I go between 75 and 90. That's exactly between 2500 to 3000 RPM. Honestly it is very livable and actually better since you get away from the dreaded drone between 1700 to 2100 RPM. Even with my heads, cam, and intake I still get 24 MPG. A much more "efficient and modern" 4.6 should fare better.

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NorCalRydaz:
The gears put hella stress on your motor

WTF??? Isn't it the other way around? A set of 2.73's will put WAY more stress on your motor and drivetrain than a set of 4.10's will. It is easier for your motor to move the weight of the car with a lower (higher numerically) gears

Brian

[ November 25, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: TheBrain ]

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
quote:
Originally posted by NorCalRydaz:
The gears put hella stress on your motor

WTF??? Isn't it the other way around? A set of 2.73's will put WAY more stress on your motor and drivetrain than a set of 4.10's will. It is easier for your motor to move the weight of the car with a lower (higher numerically) gears

Brian

NIIIIIccceee. Just like riding a 5-speed bike!

Go hard or go home: 4.10's or 4.56's

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Norcal95050
¯
Member # 2941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norcal95050  Ford pictures for Norcal95050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IF your stuck between the two there is a new 3.90 i think richmond makes em. [patriot]
98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Yeah I'm gonna put the 4.10's in. Don't you have to take it easy for awhile to let them break in or something? How long is it exactly or what is it you have to do when they are first put in. Peace.
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

New cars don't have a break in period for rear end gears, why should yours?

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FMS!! everyone says 4.10s suck on the freeway. i put them in my 2000 GT, and they wre perfect. now if you travel at 100 mph on the freeway all day long then you might get tired of goin that fast at 4k rpm's. other than that they are great. they will help you do the speed limit on the freeway, GREAT GEARS!!! 4.10s
Posts: 270 | From: San Pablo, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 4.10's in my 83 5.0 and I would have it no other way!
You can't beat them!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com