Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » BFG DRs vs. Nitto DRs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: BFG DRs vs. Nitto DRs
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a question for all you drag racers out there. I have a customer with an '03 Cobra that we've brought up to 475rwhp. He's having...ahem...traction problems and wants me to order him some drag radials.
What I've heard is that the Nittos are good, but you have to heat them up so much that they don't last very long. And the BFGs aren't quite as sticky as the Nittos, but they last a lot longer because you don't have to spin the hell out of them to get heat in them. Thoughts? Thanks for any help you can give me!
[burnout]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive always heard that the nitto's last longer and the bfg's grip harder

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ditto

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MT has released a new drag radial, get him some of those.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My Nitto's lasted along time and hooked well on the street without heating them up. Its a whole other story at the track I would have to heat the piss out of them to get them to hook. I've heard the BFGs hook very well without having to heat cycle them to much, but they don't last as long. One thing to have him consider is were coming into the rainy season and it makes driving on DR's very entertaining.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The BFG do not last as long as the Nitto's but they work much better. Both require a burnout similar to a slick to work properly.

The MT drag radial will not be available for a few months...atleast in a size for 17" rims.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went from spinning my Nitto 555's at 60mph to grabbing at 20mph with my Nitto 555R's.
At the track they were good for 1.9x 60fts with no spinning from a moderate 2K rpm launch. The motor put down over 480RWTQ with 8lbs of boost & I was running 10lbs at the track.

As for lasting.....mine seem to last a looong time, but I don't drive the car much. My GF's DR's are more then half gone after 9 months & less then 2K miles. (she's hard on tires [Eek!] )

If this is a daily driver I wouldn't get any DR. They're too dangerous in the rain. I'd get a spare set of rims & mount some sticky's for the track....& keep my foot out of it on the street.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Toolman
¯
Member # 3280

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toolman  Ford pictures for Toolman    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nittos are great for street.. good tires..

--------------------
Stallions club member and street racer 02 Mustang GT..

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If this car is an everyday driver, why even bother with Drag radials... IMHO, they are too dangerous in the rain... Plus if the nittos are not heated, they will hook like any other performance tire... I'd recommend Michelin Pilot Sports or BFG G-Force KDWs... I run the Pilot sports with 4.30 gears and get pretty good traction for the street, plus I trust driving them in the rain... Also BFG just came out with (in selected sizes currently) the G-force KDW 2s...which are suppose to have even better traction than the original G-force tires...

[ November 20, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmm...thanks for all the advice, guys! My customer won't be driving with the DRs in the rain, so that won't be a problem. It'll just be sunny-day weather. We're going to stick with a 275/40/17, so he can use the stock 17x9s. I'd think a BFG DR would stick better than the Goodyear F1-GS that comes stock, even without heating up the DRs, just because of their stickier compound. True or not?

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would get the nittos. they can last 8k miles, while the bfg's will only last half of that. bfg's hook way better, even cold

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
he doesnt have to drive the caqr in the rain, he has a 03 cobra as a sunny driver
by those two facts it seams that if a tire last 5k miles or 8k miles he wont care, he just wants the power to the ground
get the bfg's, hands down they hook better cold or hot

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Thanks for your help, guys!

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com