Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » clicking sounds (relay?) at 3400rpms..tps related?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: clicking sounds (relay?) at 3400rpms..tps related?
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I installed my new tb and put the new tps in (98 cobra), and now I have what sounds like a relay clicking on and off at exactly 3400 rpms (on the tach reading). This is under all conditions. Just clicks one time, everytime the car reaches 3400 rpms. It is a small clicking sound which seems to be coming from the center, to passenger side of the dash possibly.

The car is also not as responsive at this point...could this be something tps related???

--------------------
Motorcycles and airplanes. Might be time to get back in the Mustang game.

Posts: 4057 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This has to be the most complicated TB swap in history [Wink]

Sounds like its the (I forgot the acronym). Its a solenoid that controls butterflies inside the intake to effectively lengthen the intake runners for more power below ~3400 RPM. The setup looks like a bicycle brake line going into the intake. Ford only used this setup from '96-98.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sawson~IMRC's (Intake manifold Runner Controls) perhpaps?... [Wink]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

so thats what that means? lol
i seriously didnt know [Frown]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Yeah, that is what the sound is, there was a thread on svtperformance about it awhile back. [patriot]

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 04ParksRider:
quote:

Yeah, that is what the sound is, there was a thread on svtperformance about it awhile back. [patriot]
what are the effects of this on his car? how bad is it for the car?
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes the IMRCs are opening at 3250rpm, but the click is actually the relay the activates the fuel pump to dump more fuel... I also hear the click after everytime I start the car after about 30 seconds of operation...

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rev Happy, I don't think that is correct. A relay is simply an electrally controled on-off switch. I'm pretty sure the EEC dumps in more fuel by keeping the injectors open longer. To confirm that the click is the IMRC solenoid, simply unplug the connector to it and see if the sound goes away..... two cents says it does [patriot]
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay, go ahead and give me shit for this throttle body being such a pain in my ass. [Razz] It's never been this difficult!

it's on, runs fine. Couple things though.

A) The car doesn't runa s strong now (tps is at .989 closed throttle)....and when I come to a stop or basically let it idle, it falls to around 1200 or so, somtimes higher, and after about 10-15 seconds or so, it drops to a normal idle.

b) I got in a 98 cobra at work, no click. Nowhere withing the rpms.

I knew about the imrc's....and ruled that out, as this sound was NEVER made before this swap....my test in another 98 cobra confirmed that today.

I'm confused, but oh well....god damn throttle body [Razz]

any ideas now?

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Install the stock TB back and cut your losses.

Unplugging the IMRC solenoid will quickly verify if that's the source of your "click".

I've only done one '98 cobra TB swap... the project was started at 1 AM at night with a mini-mag lite in my mouth while I worked since the drop light was being used. Project finish time: 1:30AM, no problems afterwards [burnout]

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
Install the stock TB back and cut your losses.

Unplugging the IMRC solenoid will quickly verify if that's the source of your "click".

I've only done one '98 cobra TB swap... the project was started at 1 AM at night with a mini-mag lite in my mouth while I worked since the drop light was being used. Project finish time: 1:30AM, no problems afterwards [burnout]

If I wouldn't have boken the damn tps with my lack of care for it...The project would have taken approximately 20 minutes. Simple install, but of course I destroyed it. [Razz]

I may swap on the stock piece this morning just to see how it feels.

--------------------

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've never noticed a clicking sound when the IMRCs open/close, i just notice a power fluctuation is all...

sorry i have no help on your problem.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

well I drove yet ANOTHER 98 cobra this morning,and no click...a fluctuation..absoultely, but that is normal.

I'm going to take the tb off in a few minutes.

Hopefully this fixes this lack in power and this anooying clicking noise.

Btw....reguardless of if this click is "normal" or not, I can hear it over my bassani exauhst, and stereo..withy my windows down...and it never happened before this install. [Roll Eyes]

We'll have to see what happens.

--------------------

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

how interesting.....

I swapped the stock piece back on, and about 15 minutes after I started...the Hobra runs PERFECTLY again. [patriot]

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what kind of TB?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

bbk twin 62 mm.....I know several people who have this very tb and have had no problems....

Looks like mine is now up for sale! [Razz]

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get an Acufab

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra5.0Jeep:
Get an Acufab

for now I'm going to stay with the stock piece.

At this point in the car...I dont need more than the stock piece.....

With the new combo I have planned for when the motor goes....It's going to need MUCH more than what I have now. [patriot]

--------------------

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
st5150,

The IMRCs are not relay driven... 96-98 Cobras have a two-speed fuel pump relay thats behind the glovebox (where the click is heard) The relay comes on at 3250...the same rpm that the IMRCs open...

I'm sursprised that some of you guys have never noticed it... Mine has always been pretty audible...

[ November 10, 2003, 01:55 AM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com