Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Quick question about Trick Flow

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Quick question about Trick Flow
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Say you have a 95 GT and your putting a engine in it. You have a short block (all stock with a trick flow stage 1 cam) and you want to run trick flow heads & upper/lower intake as well. I hear there are clearence problems with Trick Flow twisted wedge heads, and I'm wondering if I would have that problem if I ran all trick flow parts or not..

I bring up the intake because I'm wondering if it is better to run all Trick Flow for my combo, or should I mix it up with different brands, like the TF stage 1 cam, GT40's and some other intake??

Thanks in advance

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

Posts: 788 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A few people here run trick flow H/I/C combos. You won't have a problem with this package, too many people here have ran TFS heads with the TFS 1 cam on a stock bottem end just fine. As for the intake.... the TFS track heat or Edelbrock Performer RPM are good choices for the TW's.
xchpstang
¯
Member # 1206

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xchpstang  Ford pictures for xchpstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
According to Trick Flow they used to advertise that Twisted Wedge heads could handle cams of up to 290 degrees advertised duration without having pistons flycut. The TFS stage 1 cam should be no problem as it is well below that and has very low lift. I have read in articles that the TFS intakes were designed to match the TFS heads and Trick Flow themselves advertise that the cams are an optimum match to the flow characteristics of their Twisted Wedge heads. It would probably best, although not absolutely necessary, to match components from the same manufacturer.

--------------------
04 Cobra, K&N FIPK,

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was running TFS tage 1 cam w/ 1.7 rockers and TW heads on my stock '92 5.0 block. No problems. (Upgraded valve springs).

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay yeah I'm going to stick to all Trick Flow, I was just worried about "clearence" problems and was wondering if I neded notched pistons or not..

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

Posts: 788 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
XR1stang
¯
Member # 2248

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for XR1stang  Ford pictures for XR1stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there are clearance problems on the 94/95 models... but not as far as the pistons go.

You will need new valve covers as the ones we have will not clear the rockers (assuming you are replacing them) and when you do that you are going to have problems with either the alternator or the EGR.

I put a one inch phenolic spacer in trying to clear the EGR to no avail. I also had to put a small spacer on the alternator, but that didn't change the belt I use. If you do go with a phenolic spacer then you are going to have hood clearance problems. With just the Street Heat intake you will already be brushing up on the insulation on the bottom of the hood. If you put any spacer on you will have to get a new hood, or cut your old one.

Feel free to PM me for some pics of what I had to do to get them to work correctly.

--------------------
I used to hate computers until the server went down on me...

Posts: 342 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a similar problem with my trick flow intake and twisted wedge heads...

Valve covers were too short so had to put taller ones on along with a phenolic spacer which made the intake rub on the undelining of the hood. This also made the egr tube too short so I had to make one out of aluminum tubing which always came loose. Now the egr is capped...

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com