Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Aluminum Driveshaft Installed : But HUGE Freeway Vibrations..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Aluminum Driveshaft Installed : But HUGE Freeway Vibrations..
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Big Thanks to EDDIE510 for installing the aluminum driveshaft.. Those bolts were a b*tch ahaha but you did it bro!!

Well so, aluminum driveshaft was a pretty simple bolt on and after the install now on over 100mph on freeway the car starts to vibrate terribly!! What do you guys think can cause this? Aluminum Driveshaft Balancing??

Thanks Guys for the help..

Dave

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ThuGLiFe:
Big Thanks to EDDIE510 for installing the aluminum driveshaft.. Those bolts were a b*tch ahaha but you did it bro!!

Well so, aluminum driveshaft was a pretty simple bolt on and after the install now on over 100mph on freeway the car starts to vibrate terribly!! What do you guys think can cause this? Aluminum Driveshaft Balancing??

Dave

needs to be balanced!
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what kind of aluminum driveshaft is it? my ford one doesn't even vibrate doing 140.

So yeah probly needs to be balanced.

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it didn't vibrate before, and all you did was install the driveshaft, then yeah, check the balance. Any driveline place can check the balance, but not all of them can balance an aluminum shaft. If they offer it, opt for the high-speed balance.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ThuGLiFe:

Dave

sup dave... take it out again, and take it to Bayshore truck in south city, (that is where i used to work) they can check the balance for you [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rob is the tranny in yet?

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
Rob is the tranny in yet?

nope [Frown]

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my tranny in the garage doesn't have that play in it like your

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
my tranny in the garage doesn't have that play in it like your

[Frown]

--------------------

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u joints?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
u joints?

That's what I was just about to post.

--------------------
Support our troops!

BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees from where it is now and try it again. Ford uses yellow paint marks on the pinion yoke and rear of the factory driveshaft to match the balance, so when you swap to a new shaft, you might have to try to "clock" the driveshaft up to 4 times to get the best balance.
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ditto

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wrong thread

[ September 06, 2007, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: getjobdone ]

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CHopefully you guys put threar locker on the bolts or they can back out. But i Know Eddie Knows that. [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

ScottRF88
¯
Member # 7882

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottRF88  Ford pictures for ScottRF88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep I had this problem found out it was the bolts backing out. Tossed that drive shaft into the pavement.

Does it always viberate at the same speed or does it come and go? if it's not always the same should check the bolts make sure they are all tight.

--------------------
1988 Mustang GT
1993 Mustang LX Convertable sold

Lifes to short to not drive a Ford

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BRILLIANT, THE LAST TWO PEOPLE ARE RESPONDING TO A THREAD 3+ YEARS OLD, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LMFAO! i was about to respond too! hahahaha

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My driveshaft doesn't vibrate [patriot]

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:
CHopefully you guys put threar locker on the bolts or they can back out. But i Know Eddie Knows that. [Big Grin]

Seeing as how he did this almost 4 years ago I guess they stayed in. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
ScottRF88
¯
Member # 7882

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScottRF88  Ford pictures for ScottRF88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Smile] I guess I should look harder at when it was posted not when the last reply was [Smile]

--------------------
1988 Mustang GT
1993 Mustang LX Convertable sold

Lifes to short to not drive a Ford

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ScottRF88:
[Smile] I guess I should look harder at when it was posted not when the last reply was [Smile]

I only figured out how old it was when I saw some of the people that had posted in it before me.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln
¯
Member # 7637

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Ford pictures for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueOvalRacing:
Rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees from where it is now and try it again. Ford uses yellow paint marks on the pinion yoke and rear of the factory driveshaft to match the balance, so when you swap to a new shaft, you might have to try to "clock" the driveshaft up to 4 times to get the best balance.

I think you meant to say "Rotate 90 degrees, and you may need to do it three times." If at that point you stil have the vibration, (and didnt get busted for going over 100mph) get the balance checked.

--------------------
Son, Ya gonna drive me to drinkin if ya don't stop driving that Hot--Rod--Lincoln.

Posts: 46 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com