Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » FLOW numbers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: FLOW numbers
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does anyone have the flow numbers on the pro-action heads for a small ford? i think there the 195s or something like that. THANKS.
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 200cc runner heads are rated: INTAKE: 267cfm@.400, 302cfm@.500 lift, and 310cfm@.600 on the intake side. EXHAUST: 184cfm@.400, 193cfm@500, and 199cfm@.600

I was looking into these heads a while back and consulted MANY professional opinions. Gromm, Bayshore, Baca's, and they all basically told me that these heads are not equivalent to their SBC heads in quality nor performance. Gromm actually tested these heads and they do not flow what they are advertised, and they need a lot of cleanup. I was told "They try to get these flow numbers so high to the point where other manufacturing processes are compromised. Just get AFR's!!!" -Flow numbers arent everything! [patriot]

[ October 15, 2003, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Chosen1 ]

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey thanks man!! i really appreciate it, so AFR it is. i'm sorry to hear that the pro-actions AREN'T as great as they advertise. what a shame, oh well. hey THANKS AGAIN for the info!
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dunno, the numbers don't look too too bad to me. Expecially for a boosted application.
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
I dunno, the numbers don't look too too bad to me. Expecially for a boosted application.

They would be good if they were accurate. I was told they weren't.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well most manufactures pump up their flow numbers by ~10 cfm. That's to be expected. Shoot, I'm still waiting for the remaining 12 HP from my "15HP increase" K&N filter [burnout]
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had friends flow there AFR heads and not hit the advertised numbers. GO figure

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Stimson
_
Member # 51

I believe AaronC's AFR165's peaked at ~234cfm on the intake.
yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have heard and have seen completely different things than what you have heard regarding these heads. IMHO the mentioned shops that you talked to are not very good or have very little R&D time with these heads.

On the flow bench (which is only a tool) when worked on they sound real good. They also put out great average numbers! Plus, the head has WAY more meat for porting and moving things around.

AFR heads will always be a good street head but that's it! The Pro action stuff can be a great standard valve angle head on the street and on the track. Like the high ports. It is a great head for Comp Eliminator! The iron version that is.

Eric

[ October 15, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: yellow67stang ]

--------------------
I like cars.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com