Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » anyone ever had bad valve seals?what is the sign?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone ever had bad valve seals?what is the sign?
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wondering if i have bad valve seals or bad piston rings.i have just a tiny bit of oil on three of my spark plugs,not really on the fireing tip but around the ring of the threds only on the pasenger side,i have just a little bit of smoke comming out of the passenger side pipe,it looks like blue smoke but dont smoke all the time,burns a little oil and i get a puff of smoke when i floor it then the smoke will stop,dident really start happening until i installed some roller rockers dont know if that has anything to do with it tho,my car runs and idles fine no driving problems just burns a little oil and smokes a little and haveing oil on three of my spark plugs is pissing me off,i have some gt-40 heads i want to install and hoping its the valve seal so the problem can be fixed,and not the piston rings,please let me know what this sounds like to you or if you ever had bad rings or valve seals. [Frown]

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah my car was doing the same thing but it was burning hella oil. i changed the heads and the problem went away.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
change the seals, its cheap and easy.
Sidewayzisbest
¯
Member # 3403

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sidewayzisbest  Ford pictures for Sidewayzisbest    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea oil on the spark is usually that i had a bad one and when i was doing some stuff to my motor i took out the spark plug and it was stuck in there from the oil so tight i broke 3 in half and they were a pain in the ass to get fully out

--------------------
91gt
lil of this and that

Posts: 44 | From: Lexington, SC | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so what dose it sound like,my rings or the valve seals?cause i have some gt-40 iron heads i want to bolt on.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Sidewayzisbest
¯
Member # 3403

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sidewayzisbest  Ford pictures for Sidewayzisbest    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like valve seals but i may be wrong

--------------------
91gt
lil of this and that

Posts: 44 | From: Lexington, SC | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

anybody else know what it may be???

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

anyone???

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bolt those heads on and your problem wil go away

--------------------

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do a compression and leak down test. That should tell you.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

well just got back from driving my car and while i was out i took off from a light and floored it and a big cloud of smoke came out the exsauhst and then i got off of it and the smoke is gone,it seems like i get lots of smoke only when i floor it,but then i havent really lost no power cause when i floored it my car was sidewayz all the way up the block with really no lost in power,i dont know whats wrong,just hope its not the rings.white1990stang,was your car doing this with the smoke?i dont have the tools or know how to do a leak down test or check compresion.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

do you have turn downs for exhaust. every morning when i would start my car it would leave two black marks on the ground.im pretty sure its the valve guides. it just gave me a reason to buy new heads

--------------------

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

no i dont have turndowns,its a lx straight out the back.it dont really look like black smoke,its a puff of white/blue smoke,im hoping its the valve seals,what would my car be doing if it was the rings thats bad,and it burns lots of oil?

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

can anyone else help me?i have a vacume guage and its reading normal 17-19,if it was my piston ring wouldent i loose compresion and wouldent my vacume be low or acting funny?

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have bad valve seals, you will experience blue/white smoke on start-up, and smoke and on closed throttle decel due to high intake vacume. Bad rings smoke all the time. It sounds like bad valve seals to me because mine does the same thing. I go through about 2 1/2 qts of oil every 3k mi.
Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

yeah,my car dosent smoke all the time and on start-up it dosent really smoke at idle until it sits and worm up then the smoke will start to come out a little,but while driving it dosent realy smoke until i floor it then i see a cloud of smoke in the mirror,so dose that sound like my valve seals cause i realy want to put my gt-40 heads on?

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how many miles are on the car, do you take good care of the vehicle?
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

i take really good care of it,dont really know how many miles i have cause i got the moter used a few months ago,but i would guess around 160k or more,or less,i just start at 160k cause most used moters are some where around that and its pretty hard to find a 5.0 motor now days whith low miles.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off, is your PCV functioning correctly? Secondly, are you seeing any oil on the Throttle body blade? Third, when was the oil changed last, and are you running 10-30? (you should be!) Depending on the color of the smoke, this will most likely determine your problem. Sounds to me that it may have worn valve stem seals. The smoke should be a blue color. If it isn't, and is somewhat grey...it's a fuel problem.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com