Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Suspension!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Suspension!
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, the next upgrade in line for my LX is the suspension. I'm definitely going with Maximum Motorsports, but I don't know which box to buy. Right now, I mostly drag because of the woes of my current factory original shocks etc... But I'm a fan of the occasional AutoX and what not.

I'm debating between the Street & Strip Box, which is mainly designed for drag racing.

or

The Sport Box which is more of an all around improvement more focused on handling.

Now, if do the Street & Strip Box, will the car still be able to compete in AutoX or will the springs and shocks be too soft? And if I do the Sport Box, will it be so focused on corner carving that I won't be able to get out of the hole with any traction? Anybody with experience with either of these setups?

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I have a number of MM parts on my car with the H&R Race springs and Bilstein struts. I can tell you that I can not come out of the hole to save my life. I think a 2.15 60' is the best that I have ever pulled. But, I don't have any experience with the Sport springs.

The best thing to do is to call Max Motorsports and ask. Their tech people are VERY helpful and will explain it all to you and help you make your decision. They don't pressure you or give you stock answers. They'll be happy to help. I'd call them.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You really have to decide yourself which form of driving you want your car turned for....

A good drag suspension will not be a good auto-cross and road racing suspension...

The only things the two suspension types have in common are stiffness.....Sub-frame connectors, roll cages and even strut tower brace's will be good no matter what...Having some good control arms will also help with both suspension types...You will definately need strength in the control arms over lightness for the shock of "drop clutch starts" that the drag strip will give.....

I would get the Sport box and add some upper and lower control arms later....I can say that my 60ft was WAY better with the FMS HD uppers.....The adjustable Tokico's will aid you changing from street to strip set up too....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
cegan
¯
Member # 3185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cegan  Ford pictures for cegan    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with Griggs, the rear torque arm will give plenty of bite and the panhard bar will help with you cornering, you just have to choose the right springs / coilovers. Also the tubuler K member with coilovers will reduces front end weight.
Posts: 70 | From: Santa Rosa, Union City | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com