Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » CAR STOPED AT LIGHT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: CAR STOPED AT LIGHT
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was driving my car. Almost everytime I stop the car dies. WHen I take the stang off of gear to put into neautral at a stop it wants to die? Vaccum leak? What could this be? any advice would help
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check for vacuum leaks and try adjusting your TPS(Throttle postition sensor) voltage to .990-.998....

also try re-setting the computer by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes and then re-connect it....

Have you done any new mods recently?

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have recently rebuilt my motor. It was working fine but it was leaking oil from the oil pan because I didn't put the seal on so I took it to a mechanic and after I took it out of the shop Everytime I came to a light it would turn off.!!
KillerKar
Member # 3312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KillerKar  Ford pictures for KillerKar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Check for vacuum leaks and try adjusting your TPS(Throttle postition sensor) voltage to .990-.998....

also try re-setting the computer by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes and then re-connect it....

Have you done any new mods recently?

Try that

--------------------
Pony Power rules!

Posts: 8 | From: CA, Sac-town | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

WHere is the TPS at?
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check to make sure that the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is plugged in and working properly. It is what tells the computer if the car is moving or not.

Also check the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. It is what allows extra air in to the engine when the throttle blade is closed to keep the car running.

The VSS is located on the drivers side of the transmission at the end of the speedo cable. You'll see an electric connector going in to the side of it where it goes in to the tranny.

The IAC is the cylindrical tube looking solenoid that is mounted at an agle on the side of the throttle body.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you don't know where the TPS is at then it might be best for you to take it to a shop and have it adjusted. They wont charge too much and you'll know that its right.

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NorCalRydaz:
WHere is the TPS at?

On the TB. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check to make sure the EGR valve isn't stuck open also. An EGR valve sticking open will also cause your engine to die.
Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check ur ground wires too

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Thanks everyone. I got my stang running cool again.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com