Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Check Oil Light?!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Check Oil Light?!
GRLPNY
¯
Member # 2626

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GRLPNY  Ford pictures for GRLPNY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was driving to a friends house the other night and my check oil light comes on... I had to stop for gas so I checked and the oil is full... I just changed it like no more than three weeks ago. Once I started the car the light turned off. Then comming home that night it turned back on, and has been going on and off since? I keep checkin it every time i get gas, but its always fine. I fixed all the oil leaks when I first bought the car two months ago so its not leakin oil. Any ideas? Just the sensor? Can I fix that somehow? btw its an 1989 GT

--------------------
1989 Mustang 5.0 GT
Cold air kit, throttle body, maf sensor,exhaust, and 3.73s

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the plug connection on the sensor...It maybe a loose plug...The sensor is on the drv. side of the engine on the oil pan...You may have knocked the plug loose when changing the oil filter...

[ September 05, 2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try adding 1/4 qt

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Didnt I tell you that Amy? You need to add oil. When the car runs, it sucks oil through the whole motor, causing the oil level to drop. That triggers the light, then when you turn the car off, all the oil goes back to the pan, thats why the light goes off after the car has been sitting. Then when it gets really low, it will always stay on. Add about 1/4 qt and that should solve the problem, until more leaks out. [Wink]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my oil sensor doesn't work and i just have had time to replace it. i should do this sometime i need to still wire it up though once i found out it wasn't working i just tied the wires up and let them hang under the dash [Big Grin]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love my check oil light. It comes on exactley when it's a quart low.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe i should hook mine up then...

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Black88GT
CAFords OG
Member # 394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black88GT  Ford pictures for Black88GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
I love my check oil light. It comes on exactley when it's a quart low.

Mine too LOL

--------------------
2000 Griggs Racing GT
2012 Kona GT500

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Didnt I tell you that Amy? You need to add oil. When the car runs, it sucks oil through the whole motor, causing the oil level to drop. That triggers the light, then when you turn the car off, all the oil goes back to the pan, thats why the light goes off after the car has been sitting. Then when it gets really low, it will always stay on. Add about 1/4 qt and that should solve the problem, until more leaks out.
SOunds like the best solution to me [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com